Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Parrotlet Housing

Notices

Parrotlet Housing Discuss parrotlet housing here.

Members Cages:

This thread has 139 replies and has been viewed 74022 times.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Pado

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Pado is on a distinguished road

Members Cages:

This thread is for Members to post pictures and/or information on their cages. Please reframe from posting responses or questions in this particular thread. This thread is to view your cage information only. If you have a question please visit this thread to post your question or comments - ...... http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showth...6591#post16591

For their small size Parrotlets require a lot of living space, more so than birds of a similar size. A cage suitable for a Parakeet or a cockatiel is considered by most to be too small for a Parrotlet. Parrotlets benefit greatly from the largest cage possible you can provide them. The rule of thumb is to get the largest cage you can afford in the beginning so you won't have a need to upgrade at a later date, as most people inevitably will. A birds cage is its home and since they spend a lot of time in there it should be as spacious as possible. Parrotlets being very active need ample room to fly and play and not feel cramped.

1/2 inch Bar spacing is the optimal bar spacing for a Parrotlet, anything wider can be dangerous.

Length and width is more important than height. Parrotlets need room from side to side to fly and play - even clipped birds need this room to exercise and accommodate their toys.

Cage layout is important also. The perches, toys, food and water bowls should flow so that the bird can easily get from one place to the next without hitting anything. Toys are very important to a Parrotlets mental stimulation and to prevent boredom. Rotating their toys is highly recommended. Rotation of toys also keeps the bird from becoming bored with the same toys it sees in its cage day in and day out.

A large cage for a Pair of Parrotlets housed together is an absolute must. A Pair of Parrotlets should never be kept in a Parakeet or Cockatiel sized cage. A Parrotlet Pair needs ample space to move apart when they quarrel and quarrel they do. If housed in too small a cage the bird on the losing end of a quarrel will not have enough space to move apart from the aggressor - the aggressor will feel the other bird isn't backing down and will keep pursuing it - if provided a large living space the bird on the losing end of the quarrel will have enough space to move a respectful distance from the aggressor and the quarrel will end.

Below you can view other members cage set up's and cage information:

Some suggestions to post:

Picture of cage if available:
Cage Make:
Cage Size/Dimensions:
Cage Bar Spacing:
Cage purchased from:

Features you like about the cage:
Features you dislike about the cage:

Toys provided:
Perches Provided:
Pado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Pado

Pado is on a distinguished road

The Peepers Cage info and pics:

Cage Make: Kings Cage, Model LUX-3222
Cage Size/Dimensions: 32x22x34 inches ... Total Height with stand 5 ft. 7 in
Cage Bar Spacing: 1/2 in. bar spacing with 4 mm bars
Cage purchased from: http://kingscages.com/

The design, the size and how convenient it is to clean.

The door placement - I need to stretch to reach all the area's in the cage.

Favorite Toys:
Rope boing - Kabobs - Weeble wobble foot toys - Toys like wood they can shred. The birds mostly interact with each other.

Perches Provided:
Mostly Rope - some manzanita - some dowel - one concrete - one ribbed plastic (heating perch).

Cage Inside: Picture taken before Pennys time - only Rupert is in this shot.

Cage outside - weather permitting: Both Peepers are in this pic.
Pado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Kumiko

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Kumiko is on a distinguished road

Cage Make: Windy City Parrot, Model Flight Conure Cage HQ 13221
Cage Size/Dimensions: 32" wide x 21"deep x 35"high / Total Height: 59"
Cage Bar Spacing: 1/2"
Cage purchased from: http://www.windycityparrot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Breeder Doors for easy access, wide storage shelf, 2 buffet type food cups, easy rollers so you can take it anywhere, easy assembly time

Side doors very weird and handles are inside the cage, and the tray at the bottom is white which sticks out when the cage is green

Favorite Toys:
Coco-hut Treat and Toy Cup, Woven Vine Chew Balls, Birdie Bridge, Slinkie

Perches Provided:
2 Bird Rope, 2 branch type perches with different types of wood, 3 regular wooden perches with different mm thickness, and a nail perch

Cage:

(1conure, 2 parrotlets, 7 parakeets)

Last edited by Kumiko; 07-13-2008 at 06:45 PM..
Kumiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
ArtS

ArtS is on a distinguished road

An older picture of my birds' cage. Its tough to get a decent shot of the whole thing...

It has been reconfigured a bit since the picture was taken, with new toys and raised floors to accomodate Sparky's condition.

Regards,

Art S.
ArtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
BeakerLuvsBunsen

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

BeakerLuvsBunsen is on a distinguished road

Here is the cage I bought for my 2 parrotlets-

http://www.mybirdstore.com/FLIGHT_AV...ER_COATED.html
Cage Make: A&E
Cage Size/Dimensions:
Overall Height 59". 31 3/4"x21"x35" OH-59"
Cage Bar Spacing:
1/2" bar spacing
Cage purchased from: Bird Paradise-- mybirdstore.com

Features you like about the cage: Plenty of room, easy to clean
Features you dislike about the cage: Seeds still get all over the floor--
I can't seem to find a guard that will fit it all the way around--
I wish the door had a landing area

Toys provided: lots-- curly q, bells, hamster wheel (recently added) baby teething rings,
mineral block, cuttlebone- 2 ladders, swing, rope toys- fake budgie on a perch

Perches Provided: 1 short rope birdy bush, 1 sanded perch, several boings,
1 pollen perch, 1 sweet feet perch, several bendable rope perches

The cage in Action:

BeakerLuvsBunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
raiven

Parrotlets Owned: 1

raiven is on a distinguished road

Sadie's cage is the Pali Place from birdcages4less. click The dimensions of the actual cage are: W30" D18" H38". It cost $149.00 plus about $55.00 shipping, handling tax and customs fees. A comparable cage from a Canadian wholesaler was $265.00 plus shipping and handling fees. click Also most of their color choices were out of stock.

Advantages

1. The cage is quite spacious but the depth does not take up too much room in my fairly small apartment.

2.It has two platforms and two ladders included and four wooden dowel style perches and two feeder dishes. The platforms help utilize the space well and Sadie loves loves loves ladders. I will be adding more ladders. I have also ordered extra perches to replace the wooden dowels for the most part. The plastic dishes will be replaced with stainless steel.

3. The pull out tray makes for easy cleaning. The bars wipe clean nicely as well.

4. 2 main doors plus two breeder doors makes access easy.

Disadvantages

1. The main disadvantage is the reinforced horizontal bars are two wide for Sadie to grab with her beak. She manages to scoot around pretty good horizontally though. She has her 'fireman's slide' down pretty well too! I think when she has more ladders it will resolve the climbing up and down issue though.

Last edited by raiven; 02-23-2008 at 04:50 PM..
raiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Sally

Parrotlets Owned: one

Sally is on a distinguished road

Here is Chippers carnival! She has so much fun. The door is always open. She goes in and out, but LOVES to be inside playing. She has a playground on a table nearby also. She flies around the house. A pretty nice little life. She is pure joy for us.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
rakeshbarman

Parrotlets Owned: 7

rakeshbarman is on a distinguished road

Smile My Cage

Cage Make: Self constructed at my weekend home worshop.

Cage Size/Dimensions: width: 1m length: 1.2m height: 90cm (as per my convenience to move around through the doors of my house)

Cage Bar Spacing: 1.5cm X 1.5cm = 2.25 sqcm ; economical and easily available in local market aluminium net.

Cage Raw materials : 6m X 90cm Net, 3/4inch hollow square pipe, 3 doz 1/2 inch screws, 5m of 2mm thick GI wires all purchased from local market. 12.4m of 1/2inch alunimium angle biddings to cover the knitted net joints. A bit of welding job (costing $5) for the frame. Total final cost is INR1000 equivalent to USD25.

Airy , spacious and lot of natural playful things used. 95% items used are natural derivatives. Well cut multiple mango branches. bamboo toys. two earthen pot with an 2.0cm radius circular aperture, pots are willfully covered by dried out coconut leaves. the birds have a good time peeling them off. The birds seems to enjoy each bit of internal work and play around incessantly.

the droppings create a lot of problems and needs constant cleaning. the earthen food bowl has to be cleaned in each alternate days and water container twice each day. The whole cage along with the birds are sprayed with dilute 1:200 KMnO4:Water twice a week with a garden sprayer reserved for this purpose.

Over all its fun and self satisfying

photos

Last edited by rakeshbarman; 05-27-2008 at 05:32 AM..
rakeshbarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Amaranita

Amaranita is on a distinguished road

Bigboy's Palace

I've been told it's a Kings Cage, although it had no label.
It came with one long dowel perch and 4 food/water cups. It has 2 drop down doors. I had to rig plastic links a'la a drawbridge to make a landing strip for Bigboy. The only drawback that I have found is that you cannot hang things exactly where you want them because the roof is curved.
Amaranita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
SweetPeasMom

Parrotlets Owned: 3

SweetPeasMom is on a distinguished road

Sweet Pea and Scoots cage is http://www.valuecrate.com/pcft32n.html#
Features I like about the cage, The huge door and its placement, it is really easy to get into and clean, the door stays open most of the day. I also LOVE the shelf, I put all the extra food cups on it, one cup with fruit and the other veggies and pasta. I can hang more short toys for this too. And they love the ladder that comes with the cage.

Features you dislike about the cage: It does not clean itself haha, have not found any thing I dont like.
SweetPeasMom is offline   Reply With Quote