Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Nutritional diet

What is the best

This thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 8140 times.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
LiquidSunLight

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

LiquidSunLight is on a distinguished road

I was also wondering, which formula of Nutri-berries? I see parakeet, conure, cockatiel, and I'm stumped which would be best!
LiquidSunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #22
mawahr

Parrotlets Owned: 5

mawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura about

I use the parakeet nutriberries for Kiwi.

Kiwi and Molly
Gone but not forgotten...
Pee Wee, Miss Peanut, Sweet Pea and Mr Peanut
mawahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #23
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

I use cockatiel for Oliver which is really funny cause he loves them. I have to break them up for my cockatiel. He can't get his beak around them. Oliver has no problem. LOL

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
Sarah Liz

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Sarah Liz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx n Noodle View Post
I found it : http://www.avianstudios.com/wp-conte...n-Species3.pdf

It goes over the diet a bit by different species...
This is a great list! Thanks for posting. I think I will print this out to use at the grocery store.

One question - what is the best way to present the fresh food? Is it best to mash these foods together (maybe in a food processor)? Or maybe chop them up and then throw together in a mixture?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #25
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Liz View Post
This is a great list! Thanks for posting. I think I will print this out to use at the grocery store.

One question - what is the best way to present the fresh food? Is it best to mash these foods together (maybe in a food processor)? Or maybe chop them up and then throw together in a mixture?
Presentation is something that is individual to each bird. Tumi likes his kale large leaves and on the top or the side of his cage, while peas should be whole in a dish on the bottom, and carrots should be cut small and mixed with other things. It is trial and error, so present things in different ways and also raw and cooked (for the things that can be safely eaten either way) until you discover the ways that get things eaten.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #26
parrotletzoo

parrotletzoo has a spectacular aura aboutparrotletzoo has a spectacular aura aboutparrotletzoo has a spectacular aura about

The nutraberries comments make me chuckle because my budgies will only eat smashed cockatiel original and Azuki and Lily only like the kind parakeet with cranberries and are 30% pellets. Azuki likes his whole, Lily likes her broken but not smashed. *sigh* so high maintence.

Green Bean and Nym snuggling after a bath.

Before there was man, the parrot ruled the world. Now man rules the world and the parrot has not forgiven - Native American Proverb
parrotletzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #27
Mirokami

Mirokami is on a distinguished road

I see that no one has posted to this thread since 2013, but I'm going to give it a shot anyhow! I recently adopted a very young parrotlet, Scooter. Naturally he loves seeds and I have tried feeding him Roudybush crumbles as well as fresh produce; apple, tangerine, bell pepper, celery. He seems to really like the Roudybush crumbles but has absolutely no interest in fresh fruits and vegetables. Should I be concerned?
Mirokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #28
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Went to the Website, and found this: Cockatiels, Grass Parakeets, Budgerigars, Parrotlets, Lovebirds, Pyrrhura Conures (Small Parrots)
Use whole uncooked and/or cracked grains (except for large types such as wheatberry). Smaller leafy veggies such as parsley, dill and cilantro tend to be favored over large leaf varieties. Cut open peppers to expose the seeds. Sprouts and broccoli crowns are a
plus! Blackberries, raspberries, figs, kiwi and cactus fruit are generally accepted by this group. Give small pellets as 50% or less of the diet.

I mix pellets with parakeet seed and Australian GoldenFest. Ollie gets veggies most days. He is very leery of "dark" anything---like blackberries or carrots. today he got a good corn meal mix baked with veggies.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #29
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirokami View Post
I see that no one has posted to this thread since 2013, but I'm going to give it a shot anyhow! I recently adopted a very young parrotlet, Scooter. Naturally he loves seeds and I have tried feeding him Roudybush crumbles as well as fresh produce; apple, tangerine, bell pepper, celery. He seems to really like the Roudybush crumbles but has absolutely no interest in fresh fruits and vegetables. Should I be concerned?
That's great that he likes the crumbles but keep trying the fruits and veggies. A balanced dietis really the best. Some like them chopped very fine. Some like bigger pieces stuck in the bars of the cage or on kabobs, some like it cooked into birdie bread. You have to experiment. I just feed fresh veggies everyday depending on what I'm eating or frozen veggies which I have chopped small and keep in the freezer when I'm bad and not having veggies.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #30
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirokami View Post
Liking pellets is a great start, and just keep trying with the veggies. They can be picky and stubborn, but like humans do need to eat their veggies. Keep at it and Scooter will train you how he likes them in no time!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote