Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Nutritional diet

What is the best

This thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 8140 times.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Petrie

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Petrie is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx n Noodle View Post
Well, it's really funny that you ask... I just attended a bird club meeting where Dr. Echols came to speak about parrot diet. He also did address the concern about smaller parrots and pellets in regards that some don't do well on a completely pelleted diet.

This is the summary:

1. All birds should be on a pelleted diet. No brand is better than another in his mind. The smaller parrots should NOT have more than 50% pellets. The other 50% or more should be fresh veggies and some fruit. He says to aim for leafy greens and berries. He doesn't recommend citrus fruit or animal protein (chicken, beef, etc). No fruit juice. Sprouting seeds is fine. Doesn't matter if it's raw or cooked, however the bird will eat it.

Larger parrots should get 50-70% pellets and the rest would be fresh foods.

2. No bird should have seeds or nuts unless they're breeding or very active birds (like birds in a bird show that fly a lot... flying around the house is not good enough).

3. All birds should get some natural sunlight when possible. He does warn that they should be caged and monitored when outside. He's skeptical about full spectrum lighting being effective and recommends natural sunlight.

4. The more exercise you can get your birds to do, whether flying or walking, he encourages it. He especially encouraged foraging to keep them moving and entertained, though he admits that it's more outside the cage than inside (most cages aren't big enough to provide enough room for very much activity).
Brilliant, Just Brilliant. Just what I needed for Petrie who is getting crankier by the day on a seed diet!!
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
kenhuffman

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kenhuffman is on a distinguished road

Red face parrolet diet

what an informative post! I am growing now some spouts for my parrloet, so far, she is not into them. I cut them or pick them and wash them, even though they are grown outside, on my patio. She will eat her seed food, but very picky eater. I have given her nuts, unsalted, of course, every week. I did not know that it should not be given. Bonnie loves her nuts and egg food! She is outside in natural sunlight about an hour a day.
she is in full flight of this house, will come to me IF she wants, mostly to see any food is for her liking in the kitchen.
She wasn't this great before when I had another bird in the house - I know she must have felt threatened and was stressed out and began plucking her feathers....ut oh, did what a mom can do. Eventually I got the other bird re-homed and she is back to normal!!
kenhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
kenhuffman

kenhuffman is on a distinguished road

thank you for your informative post on the diet of parrolets. I think I over do the nuts in her diet, she loves them so much but I should give her fresh veg & fruit. Not so interested in that. I will encourage more real fresh food, spouts are now growing outside on the patio - she is not interested as yet.
kenhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
JustAParrotlet

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JustAParrotlet has a spectacular aura aboutJustAParrotlet has a spectacular aura about

Resurrecting this thread. I read the nutritional information but I have a question, if fresh vegges, etc are supposed to be 50% of the diet do you not keep the food bowl full in a p'lets cage? How do you know they are eating 50% veggies? Do you ask them?
JustAParrotlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAParrotlet View Post
Resurrecting this thread. I read the nutritional information but I have a question, if fresh vegges, etc are supposed to be 50% of the diet do you not keep the food bowl full in a p'lets cage? How do you know they are eating 50% veggies? Do you ask them?
I leave all the food bowls in the cage when I feed them. My guys in general like their fresh foods and will generally go for it first. I remove the fresh after a couple of hours (really a moot point since it's all gone by then... and what's tossed is under the grate). Anyway, the seed/pellet mix is limited and they'll snack on that through the day. I usually give them about 2 tablespoons or more of the fresh and a equal amount of seed/pellet mix. Going by what's on the floor and under the grate, they eat both equally, though usually more pellets left over than the seed which is why I do a 50/50 seed/pellet mix or a 40/60 seed/pellet mix depending on my mood.

LOL, but I know if I asked they'll probably tell me that I shorted them on their seeds!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #16
lindav

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Great suggestions.

I have been giving Ollie brown rice---today it was mixed with wheatberries---they taste like barley. He loves them. I do give him a washed green daily, Kale, or romaine lettuce. I am praying he stays healthy. He gets out of cage time, too, with his budgie friend.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #17
mawahr

Parrotlets Owned: 5

mawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura about

I have found that Kiwi will eat his sprouted seeds exclusively if I give them too early so I've started giving them after I see him eating his nutriberries. Today I left his sprouts on the table by accident instead of putting them in his cage which is open all day. He wouldn't come out to eat until we returned, silly bird!

Kiwi and Molly
Gone but not forgotten...
Pee Wee, Miss Peanut, Sweet Pea and Mr Peanut
mawahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #18
ginziputzi

ginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAParrotlet View Post

Yes, just ask. They will tell you! LOL! I usually feed Kiwi her fresh food when she is out with me. She eats it more readily that way. Why? Who knows...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kiwi and Jackie
Forever in our Hearts - Tango, Daisy, Po and Mickey

ginziputzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #19
parrotlet123

Parrotlets Owned: 0 :(

parrotlet123 is on a distinguished road

hi,
sorry i was just wondering if you get parrot pellets or special pellets for parrotlets?
thanks
parrotlet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #20
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

I use the cockatiel sized ones because I used to have cockatiels and it was easier than buying different sized ones...