Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Tips: bringing home a new parrotlet

This thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 13283 times.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilmisner View Post
Hi, I just purchased a parrotlet from a lady that no longer wanted him about a month ago. He is about 5 months old now. He was very aggressive and was flying all over the house. The other day he started to become tired all the time and hes not able to fly now. Through online research I've learned that he is probably molting as hes also picking out his feathers which would explain his aggressiveness. But I'm worried because hes stopped being able to fly. He jumps off my hand now and falls straight to the floor without even trying to fly. Is this normal during molting? Thanks
Avian vet as soon as possible. If you can go to the same one the previous owner took the bird too that would be best since they already know the bird and would have his records. It is possible that this is all related to the stress of a new owner but it sounds like there are other issues at play here. What do you have him eating? Since he seems unwell I suggest that you keep millet in the cage for the time being till he is back to his aggressive self. Once he is healthy again you can work on his plucking and aggression issues.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 AM   #12
Ambrose12

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Ambrose12 is on a distinguished road

Tips are fantastic. I am looking to buy a new parrot and these tips would be helpful. I was worried about food and living space, but your tips gave a sign of relief.
Ambrose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
JustJamie

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JustJamie is on a distinguished road

Worried about color choices

Would a bird colored differently than wildtype be more visible and thus less likely to be, for example, stepped on or involved in some other accident? Green is my favorite color and I find myself gravitating toward the wildtype, but I know I'd love whatever bird I got just as deeply regardless of color. I don't want to let color preference come before safety. I am aware of the issue regarding the color morphs and pellets, but here I am asking solely on the basis of any difference in safety from accidents. Where I am my only option is to choose color and sex, or I'd choose based on temperament and how the bird reacted to me. Thank you so much!
JustJamie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
Would a bird colored differently than wildtype be more visible and thus less likely to be, for example, stepped on or involved in some other accident? Green is my favorite color and I find myself gravitating toward the wildtype, but I know I'd love whatever bird I got just as deeply regardless of color. I don't want to let color preference come before safety. I am aware of the issue regarding the color morphs and pellets, but here I am asking solely on the basis of any difference in safety from accidents. Where I am my only option is to choose color and sex, or I'd choose based on temperament and how the bird reacted to me. Thank you so much!
Well, it really varies with the environment that the bird is in.... so if you have blue carpeting and a blue parrotlet, then yes, you're probably more likely to step on them. If you have a green parrotlet and green carpeting... same is true. So, generally, I don't think that having one specific color morph is going to be more accident prone or have safety problems than another...
Old 02-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #15
Birdielover14

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Birdielover14 is on a distinguished road

These are great tips! I just brought my baby home yesterday and she's already coming out of her cage and flying over to me! I find just trying to think/understand from their perspectives really helps me to understand and bond with her. Thank you for your tips!

P'lets teach us something new everyday!
Birdielover14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #16
kaylee

kaylee is on a distinguished road

How much does a parrotlet typically sleep? I brought my new parrotlet Wrigley home last night. He was weaned a week ago. He seems happy and social, but I've noticed he is sleeping a lot today. I don't remember my conure or my cockatiels being so sleepy. Is this normal for him? I know he is still adjusting to being away from his siblings in a new place. He's not puffed up/doesn't look like he's sick, but he's more than happy to sit on my finger and sleep.
kaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #17
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee View Post
How much does a parrotlet typically sleep? I brought my new parrotlet Wrigley home last night. He was weaned a week ago. He seems happy and social, but I've noticed he is sleeping a lot today. I don't remember my conure or my cockatiels being so sleepy. Is this normal for him? I know he is still adjusting to being away from his siblings in a new place. He's not puffed up/doesn't look like he's sick, but he's more than happy to sit on my finger and sleep.
It could be that all the excitement from yesterday tuckered him out. Just make sure you weigh him daily to see that he is not regressing and losing weight and check poops and that his breathing is ok.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #18
kaylee

kaylee is on a distinguished road

Monitored him very closely. He was eating and drinking and didn't lose any weight. Playful and seemed happy. Then today when I got home from work he was dead. I contacted the breeder and she won't respond, so I'm guessing maybe there is some history of problems like this. Three days and I was already so attached to the little guy.

I'm heartbroken.
kaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #19
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

I'm so sorry
Old 05-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #20
Malachi
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee View Post
Monitored him very closely. He was eating and drinking and didn't lose any weight. Playful and seemed happy. Then today when I got home from work he was dead. I contacted the breeder and she won't respond, so I'm guessing maybe there is some history of problems like this. Three days and I was already so attached to the little guy.

I'm heartbroken.
I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss...I hope the breeder will eventually respond. Clearly something wasn't right from the very beginning.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote