Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

About your bird feathers

and molting.

This thread has 55 replies and has been viewed 10467 times.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
moughamian

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

moughamian is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all who responded. Took Petey (for company, Suzie had to come too), to the vet today. According to the vet, SUZIE is the culprit!! The vet thinks that when she preens him she chews at his feathers! It does make sense that she LIKES TO CHEW. She CHEWS everything. So we bought her some new chew toys, but the advise was also to separate her from Petey for A YEAR! Petey is going to have a FIT. I guess I will place the cages side by side, and we can let them have SUPERVISED visits with each other, but I know he is going to miss her. Oh well, at least he is not sick. Anyway, just thought I would say thanks to all!
moughamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Glad to hear that you have a solution to the problem
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
LushTonesBassist

Parrotlets Owned: 1

LushTonesBassist is on a distinguished road

[quote=moughamian;136316] I'm starting to give him very little seed and beefing up on carrots, spinach, parsley and I have an angry guy to deal with, but I don't know what else to do. [quote]

Parsley is fatal to parrotlets. It doesn't seem to be the cause of the situation, but it'll lead to something far worse...

We've had great luck in satisfying Punk'N and his chewing habits with bamboo, fingercuffs on his perches and fresh wheatgrass in his cage. This may help your culpret's urge to shred in between visits with her lil man.
LushTonesBassist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Bwg460

Parrotlets Owned: 5

Bwg460 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone help me? I have three little guys (ok one is a gal). Two are a little over a year old and one is 10 months. The two boys share a cage with plexy glass separating them. The gal is by herself. The question is my gal, Greta is almost bare doing so in about two weeks. Benton isn't bare but looks scraggly. He's completely covered but his head looks rough and his feathers are not smooth and tight to his body. And now Grayson the youngest's head is looking rough. I read that a good pellet diet is a must, so about three weeks ago or so I got pellets for small birds (Canary and Finch). I had the larger ones for Parakeets, but they wouldn't eat them. These they are eating. I mix the pellets with seeds 3 parts pellets with 1 part seed. They seem to love these pellets. I also give them millet twice a week as a treat. I try to give them other fruits and veggies but I just end up taking them out of their cages because they don't touch them. I let them play once a week in the sink with about a half inch of water because they won't use their birdbaths. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with the feathers? Should I maybe take them to the vet?
Bwg460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwg460 View Post
Can anyone help me? I have three little guys (ok one is a gal). Two are a little over a year old and one is 10 months. The two boys share a cage with plexy glass separating them. The gal is by herself. The question is my gal, Greta is almost bare doing so in about two weeks. Benton isn't bare but looks scraggly. He's completely covered but his head looks rough and his feathers are not smooth and tight to his body. And now Grayson the youngest's head is looking rough. I read that a good pellet diet is a must, so about three weeks ago or so I got pellets for small birds (Canary and Finch). I had the larger ones for Parakeets, but they wouldn't eat them. These they are eating. I mix the pellets with seeds 3 parts pellets with 1 part seed. They seem to love these pellets. I also give them millet twice a week as a treat. I try to give them other fruits and veggies but I just end up taking them out of their cages because they don't touch them. I let them play once a week in the sink with about a half inch of water because they won't use their birdbaths. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with the feathers? Should I maybe take them to the vet?
I would definitely take them to an avian vet to rule out any parasite, etc. Also to see if they have any deficiency that requires attention. Other causes can be boredom, not preening properly, or fear (are they near a window and scared by outside cats, etc.). First course is always the vet and then going from there.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Bwg460

Parrotlets Owned: 5

Bwg460 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your advice. I might add they all have toys and they do play with them. I also have three perches and a swing for each. The funny thing is the one that is the least active has the best feathers. They are not right in front of a window but they are in a room that has a wall of windows so it is very bright. They all get excited to come out of their cages (they each have their funny routine to get to me when I open the cage door). None of them seem frightened, maybe a tad jumpy if I move my hand to fast to say pet them or have them shake hands. The naked one had a bunch of new feathers pop today, so maybe she won't be so bare in a few days. I also have one of those mite cans on the shelf where their cages are. I think I will give them another week or so and if things aren't better they will go see the doctor.
Bwg460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
beaklady

beaklady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyvern View Post
My vet had me include red palm oil for my Rory who decided to pluck when she was about 5-6months old. Not sure if that is what did the trick or not but she has for the most part been fully feathered now for quite some time.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Hello there. I have red palm oil. How do you administer it? Mix it with pellets?
beaklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
jeannepp
Super Moderator

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaklady View Post
Hello there. I have red palm oil. How do you administer it? Mix it with pellets?
You could mix it with the veggies or food the eat.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
Rombom4

Rombom4 is on a distinguished road

Exclamation My green parotlet grew yellow feathers?

I have a green male pacific who is pied but last week he began losing some feathers, I think he was molting, but regrew some bright yellow tail feathers! What is happening he is green and blue, is this normal for pied parotlets? HELP?
Rombom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombom4 View Post
I have a green male pacific who is pied but last week he began losing some feathers, I think he was molting, but regrew some bright yellow tail feathers! What is happening he is green and blue, is this normal for pied parotlets? HELP?
Yep, watching the colors come in on a pied is the fun of it. They can change dramatically. All depends on the genetics of the parents.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014