Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

About your bird feathers

and molting.

This thread has 55 replies and has been viewed 10470 times.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Evelyn
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Evelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of light

About your bird feathers

Jeannepp, had posted this link, it is very intesting and informative, about your birds feather, why they molt etc.

http://www.2ndchance.info/molt.htm
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
lmcrumley

lmcrumley is on a distinguished road

very neat arical. thank you for sharing
lmcrumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
sandyvern

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

sandyvern is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to sandyvern Send a message via Yahoo to sandyvern
Very informative article!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
http://theadventuresofsandyvern.blogspot.com
http://www.pawprints-n-hoofbeats.com
sandyvern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
moughamian

moughamian is on a distinguished road

I have a question, wondering if any of you may have any knowledge on feather health? We have a male parrotlet with a strange feather issue. I looked on the link listed, but couldn't find any helpful info regarding our issue. We have had our bird for probably 4 years and his feather health seemed to deteriorate once we housed him with his mate. He is very bonded with her and her feather health is very good. His feathers in the beginning seemed to just thin a bit, and look dull. I bought some special seed for vibrant feathers, and it seemed to help, I give him foods rich in vitamin A but he doesn't like it. In fact is very angry when I do not give him the seed he likes. But recently, his feathers have worsened looking like they are not only getting thinner, but actually look like they are starting to DISINTEGRATE. I'm starting to give him very little seed and beefing up on carrots, spinach, parsley and I have an angry guy to deal with, but I don't know what else to do.

One finally note though, we had another male with our female (her brother who ended up accidently flew into a window) and HIS feathers looked very similar to our current male. It didn't get as bad as this current situation, but definitely looked thin and dull. I started to wonder if she had the ability to drive her men crazy and make there feathers fall out! I'm at a loss, not sure WHAT TO THINK, any info would be helpful.
moughamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Are you feeding pellets? Diet, bathing, preening and diet are the basics for good feather health. Is she plucking him? That could be too. But unless his diet is good his feather health will not be good.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
moughamian

He probably doesn't take baths as much as he should, so I could add that to the list. And our birds preen each other and themselves, but I need to pay more attention to how much he does.

She is a jealous bird when I get near the cage, she will turn and peck at him, but it is NOT near the area that looks SO BAD, which is the tips of the wing feathers and the tail feathers that look like they are disintegrating. When she pecks it's usually up by the head or the feet. She doesn't hurt him. For instances she has never made him bleed or even that he would back away from her.

I have NOT fed them pellets at all. Do you think that pellets would be better for the feathers? I just have always fed them both a seed mix and then occasionally, soft foods. She looks great, he looks horrible. My son wants to post a pic, which hopefully I can get it on here, I'm not so good at posting pics.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Maybe you should look into red palm oil. I know it's good for Grey's with feather issues and it's high in the fatty acids that's suppose to bring shine to feathers (and hair ).

But on the off chance that she may be doing it to him, you may want to separate them and cage them side-by-side and see if it helps.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
moughamian

Oh, Hi Jinx N Noodle, thanks for your reply. I was out of town for the weekend, so just catching up. I fear that my Petey is not going to be a good breeder if his feathers are going to all fall out! I'm trying to decide if I need to find an avian vet, because I'm getting frustrated trying to figure this out. He is going to HATE being away from Suzie, but it's probably a good idea if SHE is the problem. I have to talk to my kids about this, we all, kind of, decide together, what to do. They all just love him/them so much. I wonder HOW in the world, she would be making him loose his feathers? She is not physically hurting him, could she be mentally driving him insane? They are usually side, by side in the cage. I think at night they "roost" in different spots, but during the day, they seem to be fairly peaceful with each other, unless I or one of my kids go to play with them, she, Suzie, will nip at his feet, but she has never truly hurt him, for example, no bleeding, bruizing, etc. My son tried to get a picture we have of him posted on this page, but to no avail. The feathers on the wing tips and tail tips look like they are DISINTEGRATING. I don't know! I'm feeding as many carrots and parsley as I can get him to eat, and cutting back on the seed he likes. He really rants when I don't give him his favorites.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
sandyvern

sandyvern is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to sandyvern Send a message via Yahoo to sandyvern
My vet had me include red palm oil for my Rory who decided to pluck when she was about 5-6months old. Not sure if that is what did the trick or not but she has for the most part been fully feathered now for quite some time.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
http://theadventuresofsandyvern.blogspot.com
http://www.pawprints-n-hoofbeats.com
sandyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
moughamian

That is not the first time I have heard red palm oil. I think I will check out my pet store. Anything is worth a try at this point. Thanks for the info.