Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Notices

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

General P'Let care article

Winged Wisdom

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3378 times.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
tothemax407

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

tothemax407 is on a distinguished road

General P'Let care article

I've recieved so much help here already I thought i'd link this really cool article I came across on general parrotlet care. I bet most of you have seen it already, but i'll link it for other newbies like me

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww48eii.htm
tothemax407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Evelyn
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Evelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, that is a good article, Sandee M is the best. I have her book, good to get and keep on hand. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by Evelyn; 06-22-2012 at 08:47 PM..
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Zedicuss

Parrotlets Owned: 6

Zedicuss is on a distinguished road

I have also seen this article. It is an excellent article. Good info and well written. Thank you for sharing it. Surely there are people that have not seen it.
It is good for us to read these things again anyway. For me if it's out of sight it is soon out of mind.
LOL, my wife thinks I am out of my mind most of the time

Pretty Boy and Jasmine AKA PB & J
Zedicuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

I have Sandee's book also. It's considered by many to be the best book on p'lets. Thanks for finding that and sharing. It was good to read it again and your right many newcomers will benefit.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
giantico

giantico is on a distinguished road

Smile

Very helpful article for newbie's! I'll be reading it frequently!
giantico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
naco

Parrotlets Owned: 4
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

naco is on a distinguished road

Definitely very helpful! I will buy her book posthaste!
naco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Darlene2u

Darlene2u has a spectacular aura aboutDarlene2u has a spectacular aura aboutDarlene2u has a spectacular aura about

Question

I just read the suggested excellent article. I have a question about one recommendation. Am I understanding correctly - that all parrotlets that aren't green are considered to be mutations? If so, the section quoted below states that mutations should not be fed pellet food, but at the same time it says seed is not enough. Should I be buying some sort of vitamin supplement for my boy? I have good quality cockateil seed, ZuPreem Fruit Blend (which states that it is for parakeets, parrotlets, and other small parrots), and yogurt dipped sunflower seeds for a treat. So far he only seems to be interested in the millet, though.

Anyway....if I am reading this right, I should not buy pellet food for my Cheeky???? The ZuPreem Fruit Blend is not seeds, it's colouful little round bite-size crunchies. Is that considered to be pellets?

"There is much controversy over the benefits of pellets versus seeds. However it is agreed that a "seed-only" diet is extremely nutritionally deficient. There are many good brands of pellets available and again, feed pellets formulated for cockatiels or other small hook bills. Parrotlets will often eat both pellets and seeds, so both can be provided. Color mutation parrotlets should not be fed pellets. Some mutations seem to be susceptible to kidney damage when fed pellets."

Darlene2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
jeannepp
Super Moderator

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene2u View Post
I just read the suggested excellent article. I have a question about one recommendation. Am I understanding correctly - that all parrotlets that aren't green are considered to be mutations? If so, the section quoted below states that mutations should not be fed pellet food, but at the same time it says seed is not enough. Should I be buying some sort of vitamin supplement for my boy? I have good quality cockateil seed, ZuPreem Fruit Blend (which states that it is for parakeets, parrotlets, and other small parrots), and yogurt dipped sunflower seeds for a treat. So far he only seems to be interested in the millet, though.

Anyway....if I am reading this right, I should not buy pellet food for my Cheeky???? The ZuPreem Fruit Blend is not seeds, it's colouful little round bite-size crunchies. Is that considered to be pellets?

"There is much controversy over the benefits of pellets versus seeds. However it is agreed that a "seed-only" diet is extremely nutritionally deficient. There are many good brands of pellets available and again, feed pellets formulated for cockatiels or other small hook bills. Parrotlets will often eat both pellets and seeds, so both can be provided. Color mutation parrotlets should not be fed pellets. Some mutations seem to be susceptible to kidney damage when fed pellets."

Yes a nything but green is a mutation. Yes, this is an ongoing fight in the community. I feed 60//40 pellet seed and the main is veggies, protien, grains, fruits, etc. If you dot his you do not need supplements. I vary on the 60/40 ratio pellet being the highest for awhile and then seed but I make sure they get all the good fresh veggies, and foods all the time. Sprouts are good for them too! Sandee M. feels that they do not drink enough water as compared to bigger parrots and you need to drink a lot of water with pellets or it can cause kidney problems. Since she is one of the early pioneers in p'let breeding etc. I tend to follow her advice. Others believe all pellets is better. You have to make an informed decision on your own. Do what you feel is best but do not feed supplements and pellets you will have way to high a dosage for your bird.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene2u View Post

Check out this thread for a debate on this by vets. http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=1029
Veggies are much preferable to vitamins, no matter what else you feed.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Darlene2u

Darlene2u has a spectacular aura aboutDarlene2u has a spectacular aura aboutDarlene2u has a spectacular aura about

great advice

Thank you for your reply. What you are doing makes total sense to me. At this point my guy will take a bite of seed here and there, but is clearly more interested in filling up on millet. I imagine as he gets a little older he will become more interested in the seed mix....I hope so anyway!

Thanks again...it just seemed like she contradicted herself, and I certainly want to offer the best food choices for my guy. He's not really interested in fresh foods yet either, but he did take a few bites of my banana. I will keep trying. I know it will take time, and I'm really not worried about that part of his feeding at this point.
Darlene2u is offline   Reply With Quote