Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Notices

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Behavioral Changes??

Why?

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1978 times.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Zedicuss

Parrotlets Owned: 6
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Zedicuss is on a distinguished road

Behavioral Changes??

Because of all the new birds, and recent posts related to birds reverting back to old behavior, I thought an article or thread on causes might be in order. Now, I realize most of us know these things, but when we have issues with bird behavior, we often look for evil goblins, when we should start at the basics.

1-Birds at bottom of cage/or getting excited, flighty, nervous -- Did you hang new things in or out of the cage,, a clean feed dish hung on outside of the cage. A brush on top of cage. Moved toys, new different colored toy. Moved cage and now there is a window close or a picture hanging over the cage. You get the idea, It may be anything.

I will not make light of the fact that this problem can be caused by sickness also, but look other things over before you freak out and call the vet. A few minutes may save a big hassle, a huge case of nerves and a hefty vet bill. I do mean take a few minutes, maybe a few hours, But if nothing becomes apparent “quickly” call the vet immediately.
By all means if they are off there feed, call a vet.

2-Bird afraid of hands all of a sudden—Are you wearing a different ring, a watch. Did you get a new favorite shirt or blouse, a new nail polish color. Did you use hand lotion, or a new soap scent. Again you get the idea.

3-Birds not wanting to associate with a particular person all of a sudden— New perfume, hair spray, Jewelry, Hair color, Floor or ceiling fan on. Just a windy day with the window open, causing a lamp or toy to swing. Move furniture around and now a window is at your back, or different picture hanging above you. Did you get a haircut, or trim or shave a beard?

Keep in mind that any of these problems, and many more, can cause issues with other areas of behavioral issues. This is just a reminder of the basics

A short example, PB & J are very calm birds. I always put clean feed dishes on there cage for the next feeding. I put a flat floor feed dish on the cage that was a new addition to my feed dishes as we had babies weening. A few minutes later Jas was freaking, a quick look and removing the flat feed dish, problem was solved.

I think we call to much hormonal, or molt related simply because it could be, but I think we need to go back to basics to see what has changed at about the time the issues started. It could well be hormonal or molt. I prefer to be sure it’s not something I did.

As I said, there are tons of issues that can arise, and there are tons of causes. This is just a reminder to check the simple things first. You shouldn’t replace a $3,000 car motor because a fuse is blown.
Sorry this was so long,,,,,,,,,,

Pretty Boy and Jasmine AKA PB & J

Last edited by Zedicuss; 06-20-2012 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: grammer
Zedicuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Very true and good reminder.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Evelyn
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Evelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of light

Great article, thanks for posting it!
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Jewel

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Jewel is on a distinguished road

Good info!!! Thanks!!!
Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
petesmama

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

petesmama is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for posting this thread! This is so true as I discovered with Chip. He acted nervous around me and acted like he wanted to fly far away from me last evening after he stepped up on my finger until I realized I still had my 10+ bracelets on my arm! *jingle jingle*

I removed them and all was back to normal. Now I think twice and look at the rings on my fingers and bells on my toes before I reach for Chip!

Owned by:
Pete Pete - Rescue Bird 12-2011 to 5-2012. RIP, sweet boy.
Chip & Twizzell, both precious male Green Pacifics
Midder Boo (Casper) An American White
petesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
blymor

Parrotlets Owned: 10
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

blymor is on a distinguished road

Smile

Good thread - sometimes we do jump to conclusions (bad) and forget to step back and take a look to see if there are any changes that might cause our little ones to freak out.
The old saying "can't see the wood for the trees" rings very true !
blymor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Zedicuss

Parrotlets Owned: 6

Zedicuss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesmama View Post
Thank you so much for posting this thread! This is so true as I discovered with Chip. He acted nervous around me and acted like he wanted to fly far away from me last evening after he stepped up on my finger until I realized I still had my 10+ bracelets on my arm! *jingle jingle*

I removed them and all was back to normal. Now I think twice and look at the rings on my fingers and bells on my toes before I reach for Chip!
You had an issue with Chip flying back Mark and you were hurt by the fact he preferred Mark, then you realize a floor fan was the issue. That and a couple other posts was why I decided to remind folks of the issues and causes. Glad it helped

Pretty Boy and Jasmine AKA PB & J
Zedicuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
Parr0ts

Parr0ts is on a distinguished road

Very interesting ready!! thank you
Parr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote