Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Socializing with strangers

How do I get my bird to not be a jerk to everyone but me?

This thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 1476 times.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
DBird

Parrotlets Owned: 6
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

DBird is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to DBird
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia22 View Post
Tell your friends that birds are monogamous and your parrotlet is showing the utmost respect to you by not flirting with them It sounds funny but it's true. Explaining this makes your bird sound more interesting and less mean.

I ran into the same issue as you awhile ago and I found that it was all-around more successful to have other people sit or stand around a table and allow my parrotlet to run around that surface and approach people at her own will. Or they can hold toys out, offer treats, etc. Expecting a parrotlet to readily jump onto another person's hand seems to be expecting too much. Mine did when she was young but she won't anymore. You're definitely not alone!
I never looked at it this way before. Monogamous. That is true, they are loyal creatures.
DBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
Isaka

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Isaka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia22 View Post
Tell your friends that birds are monogamous and your parrotlet is showing the utmost respect to you by not flirting with them It sounds funny but it's true. Explaining this makes your bird sound more interesting and less mean.
Haha, I could do that. I wouldn't be offended if he wanted to tramp it up a bit on occasion though.
Isaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
mmmiu

mmmiu is on a distinguished road

Now that it's getting warm, I'm planning on taking bernie around the neighbourhood in his travel carrier. Anyone else do that with their birds? Do you take them to busier neighbourhoods to get them used to total strangers and car sounds?
I live close to a major street and during rush hour there's quite a lot of traffic that passes by my house so Bernie is used to hearing some noise through the window. Fingers crossed he won't hate going for nice summer strolls!

On another topic, Bernie is great with my husband and I and our friends the first couple weeks he was home. A few days ago when they came to visit, he wouldn't stop flying back and forth to my friends head and his cage while chirping in an altered tone. I think he wasn't too happy about it...Also didn't help that she was afraid of him biting.
I'm going on vacation next week and I'm hoping that my mother in law taking care of him for the week will help with strangers.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=mmmiu;928177]Now that it's getting warm, I'm planning on taking bernie around the neighbourhood in his travel carrier. Anyone else do that with their birds? Do you take them to busier neighbourhoods to get them used to total strangers and car sounds?
/QUOTE]

I am bringing Huey up to our seasonal (he loves our seasonal) we are going to camp instead of staying at the house( he loves camping too) It is going to be really warm and we dont have power there so I am toying around with the idea of bringing him up to where I will be all day..... the issue is there will be lots of people and motorcycles close proximity to where he will be, thinking he will not like that....

Huey is 4 and he acts like he will gladly eat any person who comes near his cage, he does not like other people at all. I can get him to go near people outside of his cage if they have food. For this reason I tend to keep him in his cage when we have guests, I really do not want anyone bit.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

I take Levi in his smaller travel carrier to the park across the street from me. Yesterday was his first outing of the season and he loved it

Levi is a great travel bird. When I bring him to my parents I pack up all his stuff in a bag, then I pack him up in his little cage with the zippered soft cage around it and we walk to the bus stop, take the bus for a few minutes to the subway, take the subway to Union, take the GO train an hour and a bit, then the car twenty minutes to my parents'. And repeat on the way home. He will sometimes get cranky on the GO train and I have to feed him seeds or millet constantly to keep him quiet. People are pretty good, they smile when they see him.

Overall though he just ignores people when they are over at our apartment. He will sit and snuggle with me while I'm talking to friends. I have a couple brave friends that will try to give him a pet or get him to step up, but he usually lunges and that scares them so they pull their finger back even though I've told them not to. I think a couple of my friends could handle him if they weren't so scared.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
letsgetelectric

letsgetelectric is on a distinguished road

Gonzo isn't good with strangers. If they are over at my home he will fly away from them and loop back to land on me. When we talk him over to my parents when we go out of town he is NOT allowed out of the cage because I simply don't trust him around strangers. I have accepted that is how he will be
letsgetelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
letsgetelectric

letsgetelectric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteenygirl View Post
I take Levi in his smaller travel carrier to the park across the street from me. Yesterday was his first outing of the season and he loved it

Levi is a great travel bird. When I bring him to my parents I pack up all his stuff in a bag, then I pack him up in his little cage with the zippered soft cage around it and we walk to the bus stop, take the bus for a few minutes to the subway, take the subway to Union, take the GO train an hour and a bit, then the car twenty minutes to my parents'. And repeat on the way home. He will sometimes get cranky on the GO train and I have to feed him seeds or millet constantly to keep him quiet. People are pretty good, they smile when they see him.

Overall though he just ignores people when they are over at our apartment. He will sit and snuggle with me while I'm talking to friends. I have a couple brave friends that will try to give him a pet or get him to step up, but he usually lunges and that scares them so they pull their finger back even though I've told them not to. I think a couple of my friends could handle him if they weren't so scared.
Does he have access to water during the whole travel time? I always wondered about transporting gonzo for that long without H2O.
letsgetelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetelectric View Post
Does he have access to water during the whole travel time? I always wondered about transporting gonzo for that long without H2O.
We put a dish in his cage and pour water into it during the train ride because it's sitting down for over an hour, then hold the cage very steady to get to the car so it doesn't splash around too much. Then he goes straight into his 'vacation cage' with food and water when we get home. I try to always put spinach or kale or some kind of watery vegetable in his travel cage as well but he only eats vegetables when he feels like it, and since he gets all his treats when we travel.. he's not too interested in vegetables then.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Parrotlet do not need alot of water in water form. They get much of what they need from their food. When we travel just tend to feed veggies that have high mosture content. Carrots and lettuces are a big hit with Jules.

Also a little ice melting is the water cup does not splash around as much as just water.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

I always travel with water in the cage for Tumi. It does often spill, but I just replace the cage liner at the bottom when we arrive. He likes to bathe when traveling.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote