Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

How quiet/loud is your parrotlet?

This thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 9397 times.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
perish_song

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

perish_song is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Darwin's not incredibly loud, but some of my neighbors in my apartment complex say they can hear him calling out the window. It doesn't bother them, because it's not THAT loud, but they can hear him. He gets very excited when he hears other birds outside

perish_song is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #22
Beijo

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Beijo is on a distinguished road

Hahah, my neighbors are very quick to complain, so I'm assuming they cannot hear my bird. I have a dog that barely ever makes a peep and one night he let out a few squeals because I accidentally stepped on his tail. The next morning we got a complaint from the office stating our dog was disrupting our neighbors sleep and we needed to keep him quiet.
Beijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #23
mmmiu

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

mmmiu is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
Hoping to get some advice on Bernie's loud chirping. Whenever I leave the area that Bernie's cage is in, he starts chirping really loud until he can see me again. It's gotten a lot better, maybe because he's starting to get older (he's 7 months)? My husband is getting annoyed and asked me if the noise level will go down. Even if he's downstairs and I'm not around, Bernie doesn't care and still calls for me. Some days, he's worse. I don't know what to do...I don't want to resort in giving him away because his calls are causing anxiety to my husband. Help! Please and thank you.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #24
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmiu View Post
Hi all,
Hoping to get some advice on Bernie's loud chirping. Whenever I leave the area that Bernie's cage is in, he starts chirping really loud until he can see me again. It's gotten a lot better, maybe because he's starting to get older (he's 7 months)? My husband is getting annoyed and asked me if the noise level will go down. Even if he's downstairs and I'm not around, Bernie doesn't care and still calls for me. Some days, he's worse. I don't know what to do...I don't want to resort in giving him away because his calls are causing anxiety to my husband. Help! Please and thank you.
I answer my guy when he does this, I just call out "I'm right here" and he quiets down.

Last night we got back from an overnight trip where we left him home, I had the front door open and when I was by the car I could hear him chirping loudly lol, when I walked back in he was quiet. I guess he missed us.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #25
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Melody tends to contact call us a lot. Sometimes it's over stimulation like if we are in the kitchen because she goes nuts when we are by the sink or the window, if I close the curtains sometimes she will calm down. It's on and off when she's in her cage.
Can you try putting him in a different room where the door can be closed when he's bothering your husband?
Melody is by a window, sometimes I cover just the front of the cage and leave the window portion open if she's too exited about what's going on in the great room.
I do understand, sometimes Tobie gets pretty loud. He sounds like three birds but he's not contact calling like Melody he's just happy. Not that it matters why, they are both loud.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #26
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

The contact calling will probably never stop to be honest. Levi calls for me loudly when I go into the bathroom and he can't see me. I have to call back to him "I'm right here!" and that will sometimes quiet him down, sometimes he doesn't care.

He's usually only really loud like that in the mornings or in the evenings when he wants to play and he can't see me. But he goes to bed at 8:00 and quiets right down.

I did notice that Levi calls/chirps loudly less now than before he started talking. So instead of loud chirps I get "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? EXCUSE ME WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" over and over again instead.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #27
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteenygirl View Post
I did notice that Levi calls/chirps loudly less now than before he started talking. So instead of loud chirps I get "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? EXCUSE ME WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" over and over again instead.
He's actually saying that to you!? That is WAYYY too funny!

Tihota is usually not terribly loud but unfortunately his contact call is a shrill robin whinny, often followed by his imitation of me yelling "HEY" at him! He does it when I leave his line of sight and he REALLY does it if I have the nerve to attempt napping!

Lately I've been doing a specific whistle whenever I leave the room and he seems to like that and has been calling less. But of course, it doesn't work all the time...

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #28
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I think when people talk about Parrotlets being good apartment birds it's because you can't really hear them through walls but inside they can be quite chattery....

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #29
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

I would try to change the tone of the contact call to a lower tone. Tumi had picked up an ANNOYING screech from a cockatoo, and I knew I couldn't deal with it but he wouldn't stop. So instead, when he started it, I mimiced it back but at a much lower tone (changing CHIRPCHIRPCHIRPCHIRP into chirpchirpchirpchirp) and now I can stand it. The noise doesn't go away, but there is hope to change what the noise is. I'd also invest in headphones that are noise cancelling for the days that nothing helps, because birds are meant to make noise.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #30
Koiki

Koiki is on a distinguished road

I find Dima to be very quiet.Usually every morning around 8:30 is when she will start calling for me. I know she's up before then because I've woken up earlier and heard her hopping about, but she never calls until then. That's when I'll get up get her fresh water and food and have her out with me for a few minutes while I get ready to leave. She will contact call when I put her back into her cage and head out, but quiets down quickly. Usually I put Dima back in her cage, then put the dogs in their kennels, everyone gets a treat, i say goodbye and leave. I maybe get a short call before she's silent. When I get home I get a few excited calls before i come downstairs and that is it. The rest of the day Dima is quiet when I'm home, and I'm told she's quiet when I'm not home either. Mostly just little peeps from her.

Koiki is offline   Reply With Quote