Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

How quiet/loud is your parrotlet?

This thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 9353 times.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Alyse

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Alyse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiebird View Post
I've lived with roommates and in apartment buildings and I've never had an complaints. She's a lot quieter than a dog and won't get you in trouble with the neighbors.
I second all of that.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
Hannah

Hannah is on a distinguished road

All 3 of my birds are loud and the female is the worst. She is bonded to me and will call me constantly, if she could be with me 24/7 she would. I love her to bits but she does drive me crazy at times.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
Sally

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Sally is on a distinguished road

Chipper is very quiet 98% of the time. She gets louder at night to tell us to take her to her sleep cage.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
Evelyn
Super Moderator

Evelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of light

Well I was going to answer this yesterday and forgot, but yesterday I would have said my guys are quiet, Noel has a cute chirp, Zack is not a screamer..This evening while me , hubby and the dogs were watching TV. My 2 Parrotlets were screaming at the top of their lungs at each other, hanging on the side of their cages, I have no idea what they were telling each other but I had to tell them to get quiet.. I have no idea where those loud voices came from..
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
joe85

joe85 is on a distinguished road

My p'let can be very loud
joe85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
Pauliesmom

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Pauliesmom is on a distinguished road

Paulie bangs toys, screams and hollers almost all day. He's a very happy little guy and plays all the time. I worry about him if he's quiet for more than a few minutes.

Pauliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
Teekachu

Teekachu is on a distinguished road

Yoshi is a fairly quiet boy unless I leave the room or ignore him too long. Then he starts a series of ear-piercing chirps and screeches that drive me nuts! XD I was told constantly that they weren't loud birds and that they were perfect for apartments... boy do I know better now. At least none of my neighbors have complained yet.

Despite the noise (which is his biggest behavioral issue) he's a perfect sweetheart and one of the most cuddly animals I've ever had, so I wouldn't trade him for anything. But I wish it was more commonly known that yes, parrotlets are parrots, and despite the fact that they don't scream like a bigger parrot does, they are not quiet by any means except on a case by case basis. It was a bit of an unpleasant surprise to find that Yoshi has a voice far bigger than he is, and I might have gotten a quieter pet had I known in the first place (I'm pretty sensitive to loud noises).

It's definitely an exercise in patience, but I'm doing my best to work with him and try to show him silence or soft noises get him what he wants instead of noise...but sometimes it's hard to resist telling him to shut up! Hehehe
Teekachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
^Tani^

Parrotlets Owned: 3

^Tani^ is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to ^Tani^
Honestly having owned three parrotlets in my apartment at the same time, my pair was always louder than Zoog, however, even with paper-thin walls I've never had a complaint about it. Zoog only ever gets really loud when hands are near him (he HATES hands) or when he gets bored. I know he needs new toys when he screams and runs around attacking things!

Una (August 10/2010)Lore (August 10/2010)
Fionn (December 2010)
^Tani^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #19
rubberstampman

Parrotlets Owned: 2

rubberstampman is on a distinguished road

My 2 are a lot louder than I had anticipated, but it's more tolerable than the wild jungle screams my senegal made! I also had a ringneck that made that same screaming noise. I would say parrotlet noise is one notch below that of a lovebird, but since I have 2 it's obviously doubled. I live in an apartment with very thin walls and I haven't had any complaints from the neighbors. And the parrotlet talk is more of a chirping and chattering than screaming. the funny part is, that if I am in a different room than my p'lets and they get too quiet, I know they are up to no good and I have to shoo them away from whatever trouble they are about to get into.....so noise equals birdie happiness I think.....
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #20
Beijo

Beijo is on a distinguished road

I live in an apartment and, so far, have had no issues with my P'let being loud. He will quietly chirp to himself when he is in his cage and no one is interacting with him, but otherwise the only time he makes noise is when I instigate it and make a *beep beep* noise at him. He'll respond to that and it can get loud (compared to his normal voice).

He is DEFINITELY quiet compared to other parrots. My boyfriend is pretty anti-animals, but he is totally okay with the amount of noise my parrotlet makes.

The only time I have personally heard parrotlets get ridiculously loud is when there were multiple in one room. They will chirp back and forth to each other and the noise can be quite piercing!
Beijo is offline   Reply With Quote