Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

How quiet/loud is your parrotlet?

This thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 9397 times.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
julia22

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

julia22 is on a distinguished road

How quiet/loud is your parrotlet?

I read everywhere that parrotlets are "great apartment birds" and "very quiet" and "just make little peeps" etc. To all of you who own them and don't have the ulterior motive of trying to sell them... is this true?

I'm sure that parrotlets are quieter than most other birds, but still, my parrotlet is not "very quiet" and definitely expresses herself above making "little peeps". She makes very loud contact calls every time I leave her sight. Even when she's playing with her bells she'll sometimes belt out some pretty crazy sounds. Again, I'm sure its quieter than other birds but she can be heard from 30m down the hallway of my apartment building. Although no one has complained, I am not sure I'd call this a great apartment bird.

She does make very cute little peeps, but I laugh when I think of the store owner saying "you hear those little sounds? that's how loud parrotlets are!" Um, not true! I should probably have consulted youtube.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to whether most people would say their parrotlets are actually quiet. Maybe my parrotlet is unusually loud and/or my apartment is exceptionally crappy? I worry when I see birds described as "great for apartments" because first-time bird owners may assume that it means they are actually quiet. I now know that birds=noise but I was genuinely shocked when I discovered just how loud my little p'let could be.
julia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

All my guys are quiet (I have 3 now). I can't really hear them from other areas of the house. Whenever Jinx and Indi get into it, they can get loud. Sometimes when Noodle is serenading Indi, he can be loud too, but it's really cool trills and chirps. It doesn't happen often for either one of the events. My neighbors have told me that they can hear my birds when my windows are open but they thought at first that it was new wild birds that moved into the neighborhood!

But definitely compared to my African Grey, they're much quieter But my p'lets are as quiet as my cockatiel but I've also have had cockatiels in the past that have been much louder than the p'lets.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Andi42

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Andi42 is on a distinguished road

Cricket is a pretty quiet little bird. She has about one "wild" moment a day, usually about an hour before bed, when she runs around her cage calling like crazy. She also calls to me when I get home... but this is pretty quiet.

Andi42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
ninjacherry

Parrotlets Owned: 2

ninjacherry is on a distinguished road

They're quiet when compared to other parrots, not other birds or pets in general... I spent 10 years living with my aunt and her amazon (in an apartment building, mind you), and trust me: parrotlets are practically silent in comparison.

I have a very high noise tolerance level, so my 2 parrotlets don't really bother me and I know that the neighbors can't hear them - my husband, on the other hand, gets annoyed with them sometimes... Oh well, it's small price to pay for all the cuteness!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
sugar.skulls

sugar.skulls is on a distinguished road

My guys are loud. I have males though. Males are known for calling more often. I would rate them close to that of a noise a cockatiel makes. Considering they are smaller then a cockatiel it's a big vocal punch, coming from such a small bird. At times, I can be outside with all windows and doors closed and I can hear them. I wouldn't say it's annoying but to some it can be, I'd imagine. My guys tend to be the loudest when I'm not in the room, and around dinner time. I think it also depends on what your bird is surrounded by. Example: Two of mine were around lovebirds a lot. Due to that, they picked up noises lovebirds make and mimic it. They were also around a German Roller Canary, and now mimic that. I would say the lovebird calls are aggravating. But it's nothing like what an actual lovebird sounds like. Similar, but Lovies are way more ear piercing. My guy before the ones I have now, wasn't around many other birds and just around people. He called here and there but never really made to much noise. It was tolerable, and most of the time I am able to just block out my birds, unless I have a headache then it becomes harder. But when comparing them to my female senegal, or a few of the cockatoos I've rescued. The noise is much, much, muuuuuuuch easier to handle!

Just want to add, I think the store owner was just trying to get a "sale". Or maybe they never had parrotlets in there long enough to hear their full potential? I know with how active petstores are, a lot of the birds you don't hear their true noise level as they are distracted and there's a lot of other sounds going on to drown out the sounds of the birds. I also know, from being around breeder friends. The younger parrotlets are way more quiet until they reach maturity. Then the noise level seems to "come out" more. But it's cause they are calling and hormonal. I don't have a issue with it, but when comparing a young parrotlet to a mature one. The little peeps you hear coming from the baby can be misleading LOL!
Grumpy - DOB - 09/14/2011

Last edited by sugar.skulls; 11-16-2011 at 12:30 AM..
sugar.skulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Cthebird

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Cthebird is on a distinguished road

My little Muflik is pretty quiet unless he wants to get out of his cage. Then he loudly calls out his full name and other words in Czech, which my husband taught him. He also makes a fuss if he hears noises that annoy him (like the blow dryer or the dreaded sound of a spoon scraping against the side or bottom of a yogurt cup). He also has a special chirp he makes when someone laughs or sneezes or when he wants to go back to his cage. And yes, occasionally he makes loud chirps for no reason whatsoever, but not that often. I think it is usually when he feels ignored while we're on the computer.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Alyse

Alyse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacherry View Post
They're quiet when compared to other parrots
This is definitely true, though my Allie is not quiet. She has her quiet moments throughout the day but when I take my dog outside, she has no trouble letting me know I have left her behind. I can hear her outside with the door and windows closed!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
pixiebird

pixiebird is on a distinguished road

I'd say my girl is loud, and can sometimes bring down the roof. However, I've lived with roommates and in apartment buildings and I've never had an complaints. She's a lot quieter than a dog and won't get you in trouble with the neighbors. Apartment walls might be thin, but it's difficult to hear parrotlet screams through the walls.
pixiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

My little girl is very quiet. She will call out maybe once a day which doesn't bother me. Usually just before bed time. Otherwise its just little cheeps.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
Naturespixel

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Naturespixel is on a distinguished road

My Pickle is loud specially if im getting ready for work.. also when i leave him in the room and he wants to be with me .. of any keys jingle or paper etc.. Pip is kinda loud and pickle sets him off .. my new girl Georgie is soft and quiet with her daily chirps.. all very adorable.. imho (o:
Pickle Kiwi Hatch Date Sept 26 2010
Naturespixel is offline   Reply With Quote