Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Update; Fixing the Beginners' Mistakes

This thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 16175 times.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
cherylynne

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

cherylynne is on a distinguished road

WoW! So glad to read and learn from all your insights and wisdom. Thank you for sharing. I don't have a parrotlet yet but hopefully soon will be getting a new little friend. I love this forum. I have just been pouring over it and taking it all in! What a help to get all the experience that you all have.
cherylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
erato61396

erato61396 is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problems but with a bird that I had formerly been very close to. A take said he was just mad because I went on a trip over the summer and my pet sitter didn't play much attention to him but it's been so long that I'm beginning to fear the I can't heal our bond. Any advice?
erato61396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by erato61396 View Post
I am having the same problems but with a bird that I had formerly been very close to. A take said he was just mad because I went on a trip over the summer and my pet sitter didn't play much attention to him but it's been so long that I'm beginning to fear the I can't heal our bond. Any advice?
Hi! Sometimes you just have to start at the beginning with small steps and see what the problem is. Try working on millet training or whatever treat your bird likes. Food is the key to anything with some of these birds. Food bribery usually wins.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #24
nutsforbirds6185

Parrotlets Owned: one

nutsforbirds6185 is on a distinguished road

Thank you! You are not alone.

My Calypso is an enigma. Tame and docile for about two days and then all her Diva parrotlet personality came out. I have had to learn to be very slow with her and not expect any snuggly kisses. I am hoping over time she will allow me to scratch, kiss and pet her, but for now I am moving slowly just like you. She is still nippy so I learn to read her body language to prevent actual biting. Thank you for your posting.
nutsforbirds6185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #25
smilies34

smilies34 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionally View Post
Hello all!

Here's a little update that might be useful to other parrotlet owners that are having major difficulties with their babies due to silly beginners' mistakes.

You might remember me with the horrible, fruitless efforts dedicated to having my little boy like me and failing horribly, only to ruin what we had accomplished so far - and taking us further back than from where we started! ("Can't take my Parrotlet's emotional abuse anymore!" being the most popular thread.)

Well today I come with the news that while things are moving slowly but surely, he's not so frightened as he was anymore. I took all of the great advice given to me from this awesome, loving community;

• Distance; I wasn't all in his face anymore, worried that he hated me. I kept a distance to allow him to earn a little trust with simply being in the same room as one another. This process had little to no communication, until I saw little to no change in his jovial behavior once I entered the room. (Think of it like roommates doing their own thing!)
  • Habit; Now that he'd gotten used to my being around, I subtly began filtering in some small talk with him until it became habit to throw in a little compliment or two at whatever he's doing. I stay where I am in the room and don't necessarily make it a need to go right up to his cage to simply speak to him. He's happy with this, and actually fluffs up happily and chirps back sometimes. He no longer freezes in place, terrified when I look at him.
  • Slowly; While he still finds my presence right in front of the cage a little frightening, he accepts it as long as I move sloooooowly to fix his food and water dish. This also requires that I don't bring my hand anywhere near him, and I respect that, no longer touching him at all. In return, he's not so hostile in searching to bite me, but rather sits there closely watching me to make sure of what I'm doing.
  • Calmly; I still leave his cage door open when I'm around, even though he's not 100% hand tame. (Mostly because he always did love coming out on his own and flying up to his play park I put on top of my bookshelf.) I make it another habit to remain calm at all times, keeping my movements slow if I want to talk to him from where ever he is in the room, or take him back to his cage for sleep time. He understood the latter quite fast, actually. I never make it to grab him anymore, but rather keep my pointer finger out for him to hop onto. He doesn't stay on it long though, and from it he flies back to his cage. (Still some trust needed here, but I don't stress it. These birds are very smart, and he understands right away what the finger is for in this case.)
  • Patience; While he's still not overly friendly and cuddly from up close quite yet, I take what he does give me from afar, and appreciate him for his melodic company and super cute, silly bird-like things he does that make him so adorable! (Oh the head-tilt gets me every time! Too cute.)

There's a time for everything, and while I'm thankful for the progress so far, I wouldn't rush the rest for anything in the world. This slow learning experience is really worth it, and who knows, perhaps in the end the bond will be something even stronger in its own way.

A victory best savored, aye? :P Though I don't see it like a victory... More like, a beautiful accomplishment. Nature really is amazing in having created these little wonders that are Parrotlets.

I leave you guys with a newer, more precise pic of my baby.

("What is it do you want from me now?!")
I have had Elliott almost 4 weeks, I have gained his trust through gentle talking, or just saying Hi when I walk past his cage. I also present him with Sunflower seeds or Millet, so he associates me with good things. I got to admit that it did not take too long to get him to step up on my finger, and now he has started to mumble "pretty boy" to himself which I have taught him. One thing I did do was take him into a darker (not blacked out room!) And talk to him slowly and feed him little treats. You may find that even though he doesn't act like he is used to you, to an extent he is, he knows your voice, and when you are in an unfamiliar room, it may be likely that he will come over to you as a source of comfort and familiarity in an unknown place? You could try that a couple of times a day for 10 mins or so.

Another thing I found helped is to show him and you in front of a mirror in the darkened room, he seed another of his kind and he may wish to "chat" to it, which also gives you an opportunity to talk back to him. If by this stage you have got him to step up to your finger - that little exercise is more convenient.

Time and patience is the real key here and your efforts will pay off, Elliott was parent reared and never handled as such before I got him 4 weeks ago and although I feel I have achieved quite a lot in a short space of time, I have not rushed things and have provided him with attention little and often. They are individuals with individual personalities, just like us and each one of us excelling at different things and at different rates.

I am by no means an bird expert!!! In fact apart from my (untrained) budgie when I was 7, Elliott has been my only pet bird & were making it up as we go along & that is the fun of it all!!

I have just a few more words for you. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE! !!

And on the words of Detective Columbo - "just one last thing" if you have a smart phone or laptop - show your Parrotlet, parrotlet videos on YouTube! Elliott loves watching/listening to them, it may bring him to the side of the cage! Great fun!

Lots of love Little Elliott 🐦

Last edited by smilies34; 07-02-2014 at 01:29 PM..
smilies34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Glad to know you are growing with your parrotlet.

My sister's female, Bonnie, was not very social when my sis got her. Slowly she is a wonderful companion to her & her husband. It takes a while at first, but as soon as your bird accepts you, you'll have a forever friend.
It amazes me how birds do know phrases---they are so smart. So happy you have a great bird. Make every day is a learning experience.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #27
Newtobirds

Newtobirds is on a distinguished road

Clicker training

While I do not yet have a bird to train, I suggest looking into it. It looks quite effective given a little patience. I deffinely plan on using that technique once I get that bird.

Ps. Please excuse the spelling, I'm horrible at it and always will be.
Newtobirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #28
Parrotlet_lover_13

Parrotlet_lover_13 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Training

I have a new parrotlet named juno. He is a beautiful green parrotlet. I take him out of the cage everyday, and he plays with my watch, and on napoleons (my other parrotlet) play gym. He steps up onto a chopstick with ease, and occasionally onto my arm, but i just can't teach him to step up. It's not that he is grumpy, or mad at me, or uncooperative, he behaves much better than my other bird did in training, but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I know it can often take time to train a parrotlet, but if anyone has any advice for someone who has owns two parrotlets, and a grey, as well as an eclectis when i was a kid, it would be much appreciated.

P.S. I do use a clicker when training.
Parrotlet_lover_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #29
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotlet_lover_13 View Post
I have a new parrotlet named juno. He is a beautiful green parrotlet. I take him out of the cage everyday, and he plays with my watch, and on napoleons (my other parrotlet) play gym. He steps up onto a chopstick with ease, and occasionally onto my arm, but i just can't teach him to step up. It's not that he is grumpy, or mad at me, or uncooperative, he behaves much better than my other bird did in training, but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I know it can often take time to train a parrotlet, but if anyone has any advice for someone who has owns two parrotlets, and a grey, as well as an eclectis when i was a kid, it would be much appreciated.

If he steps up fine on the stick but not your finger, he might not understand that your finger is a good place to perch. Assuming he isn't frightened by bandaids, nail polish, freckles or the like, I'd simply try forcing the issue by pressing your finger into his chest while giving him the command until he has to step up. Alternately, you might try having him step onto the stick with your finger beside it so he learns that fingers are super bendy comfy perches. It is possible he doesn't like that the fingers move so much, and is afraid of losing his balance. Good luck!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #30
sometimes24

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

sometimes24 is just really nicesometimes24 is just really nicesometimes24 is just really nicesometimes24 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotlet_lover_13 View Post

Currently trying to get an untame p'let to step up. Patience, pain and blood is the price
My finger is dotted now but he's stubborn and refuses to back down from my finger when it's near him. I keep it firm inching it slowly to him whenever he's calmed with my distance.. He kind of steps up now, so it is progress as compared to when I got him and all he'd do is bite me, and just keep pressing his beak..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App