Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Update; Fixing the Beginners' Mistakes

This thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 16175 times.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
thesillybanana

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

thesillybanana will become famous soon enoughthesillybanana will become famous soon enough

Congratulations! And your little birdie is soo adorable! Thanks for the pic! I'm so glad things are moving in the right direction. And I'm very thankful you posted. So many people face the same challenges when they first get their parrotlet. The hardest thing about owning a parrotlet is not the grumpy mood shifts from time to time, not the HUGE messes they make, not the constant worry because they are so fragil, or any of the other things that go along with these guys. The hardest part HANDS DOWN is learning patience. These little birds are soo stinking cute. These big silly personalities in a teeny-tiny body is just precious. Our natural instinct is to swoop in and love em' up, but as birds of prey that's the worst thing we can do.

I hope other owners can read this post and realize that the best way you can show love to your new bird is to do exactly what you've done! Thanks for sharing.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
Evelyn
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Evelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of light

This thread is so good and full of information, I made it a sticky thread.
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
Julie

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Julie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Julie
How do you keep them from biting you. My female flies to me and then bites me it hurts!!
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
Bird_lover6

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Bird_lover6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyme View Post
Wow I'm so happy I never had to go through that. My friend got the bird I have when it was 2 months old. So he was already really well trained when I got him. I'm glad you are having a bit of progress though.
I understand why you appreciate the fact that you were able to enjoy your p'let from the beginning, but I don't think you can appreciate the sense of accomplishment I've felt from taming my parrotlets. It's been especially rewarding since I was taming two living and bonded together. They still don't like my hands that much, but they are tame in every other way - flying to me, sitting on my shoulder, stepping up on my arm, etc.
Bird_lover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
KLantz

KLantz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this i just got my new p'let and well i dont exactly have a quite house till school starts....however there for a few days he wouldnt do anything but explore his cage and after about the first 2 days i sat his cage on the floor in front of me and my husband and i left the room with in minutes he had come out and was setting on my husbands shoulder...the previous night it was quite different he was in his cage and he had bit my husband and my self hard enough to break skin....needless to say today has been 5days since i got him and today was so productive....i did millet training with him every time i stuck my finger in his gace and he didnt bit me he would get a bite of millet with positive feed back...i didnt try my luck or tried to push him to do anything he didnt want to however today was so productive he came out of his cage 4 times today and every time i leave the room he gets loud...i talk to him several times a day....tonight was a lil different then usal only because he was not able to nestle in my hair and after comming out of his cage he wanted right back in and he tried to attack his cover for his cage he never did that after coming out of my hair...should i let him into my hair everynight is he bonding with me if i do that?
KLantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
Kacey&Belle

Kacey&Belle is on a distinguished road

He's beautiful, by the way. Great post
Kacey&Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #17
cndy

Location: I live in Naples Fl for 13 years, but am from Michigan still have son and grandson 9 there.

cndy is on a distinguished road

These are the posts I learn from this is such a loving comm of the little guys. Think how huge we look. Your doing great keep up the good work.
cndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
aimeelou2006

aimeelou2006 is on a distinguished road

parolets are intellagent and even some drink tea and eat biscuits, but not mine well not yet
aimeelou2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
charliebird25

charliebird25 is on a distinguished road

This is encouraging and helpful advice, as I just brought home my first parrotlet last week. I'm so grateful for this forum already!
charliebird25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #20
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

My 3-month old girl is like that, too. Not trusting me for too long. I move slowly around her and talk softly, especially towards evening. Yesterday she gave me a "kiss" from her cage gently touching my upper lip. It was so sweet. She will be a great pet if I keep up with her, but we will be going out of town early November for one week. I will miss the training times, hopefully she will too.