Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Update; Fixing the Beginners' Mistakes

This thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 16194 times.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Optionally

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Optionally is on a distinguished road

Update; Fixing the Beginners' Mistakes

Hello all!

Here's a little update that might be useful to other parrotlet owners that are having major difficulties with their babies due to silly beginners' mistakes.

You might remember me with the horrible, fruitless efforts dedicated to having my little boy like me and failing horribly, only to ruin what we had accomplished so far - and taking us further back than from where we started! ("Can't take my Parrotlet's emotional abuse anymore!" being the most popular thread.)

Well today I come with the news that while things are moving slowly but surely, he's not so frightened as he was anymore. I took all of the great advice given to me from this awesome, loving community;

• Distance; I wasn't all in his face anymore, worried that he hated me. I kept a distance to allow him to earn a little trust with simply being in the same room as one another. This process had little to no communication, until I saw little to no change in his jovial behavior once I entered the room. (Think of it like roommates doing their own thing!)
  • Habit; Now that he'd gotten used to my being around, I subtly began filtering in some small talk with him until it became habit to throw in a little compliment or two at whatever he's doing. I stay where I am in the room and don't necessarily make it a need to go right up to his cage to simply speak to him. He's happy with this, and actually fluffs up happily and chirps back sometimes. He no longer freezes in place, terrified when I look at him.
  • Slowly; While he still finds my presence right in front of the cage a little frightening, he accepts it as long as I move sloooooowly to fix his food and water dish. This also requires that I don't bring my hand anywhere near him, and I respect that, no longer touching him at all. In return, he's not so hostile in searching to bite me, but rather sits there closely watching me to make sure of what I'm doing.
  • Calmly; I still leave his cage door open when I'm around, even though he's not 100% hand tame. (Mostly because he always did love coming out on his own and flying up to his play park I put on top of my bookshelf.) I make it another habit to remain calm at all times, keeping my movements slow if I want to talk to him from where ever he is in the room, or take him back to his cage for sleep time. He understood the latter quite fast, actually. I never make it to grab him anymore, but rather keep my pointer finger out for him to hop onto. He doesn't stay on it long though, and from it he flies back to his cage. (Still some trust needed here, but I don't stress it. These birds are very smart, and he understands right away what the finger is for in this case.)
  • Patience; While he's still not overly friendly and cuddly from up close quite yet, I take what he does give me from afar, and appreciate him for his melodic company and super cute, silly bird-like things he does that make him so adorable! (Oh the head-tilt gets me every time! Too cute.)

There's a time for everything, and while I'm thankful for the progress so far, I wouldn't rush the rest for anything in the world. This slow learning experience is really worth it, and who knows, perhaps in the end the bond will be something even stronger in its own way.

A victory best savored, aye? :P Though I don't see it like a victory... More like, a beautiful accomplishment. Nature really is amazing in having created these little wonders that are Parrotlets.

I leave you guys with a newer, more precise pic of my baby.

("What is it do you want from me now?!")

"To be great is to be misunderstood."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Optionally; 10-11-2011 at 08:57 PM..
Optionally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Sounds like progress, slow but steady. Soon, he'll figure out that you don't mean any harm
Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Optionally

Optionally is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx n Noodle View Post
Sounds like progress, slow but steady. Soon, he'll figure out that you don't mean any harm
Yep! And it's all thanks to you guys. I was even amazed at how steady he was in front of my new smart phone so I could take that very pic! He didn't even fly off terrified.

"To be great is to be misunderstood."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Optionally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
julia22

julia22 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting the update, it sounds like it's becoming a more positive experience for you. Birds are really different from other pets so it can be quite a learning experience in the beginning! I had absolutely no hands-on experience prior to bringing my p'let home and I remember feeling ridiculous for being afraid of such a tiny animal (she was the exact opposite of shy/afraid). Keep up the great work!
julia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
rubberstampman

Parrotlets Owned: 2

rubberstampman is on a distinguished road

that's great!! as many, many threads on here have stated, patience, patience and more patience is the key to success! I've had mine for almost 2 years and we are still progressing slowly, but surely......the other day I was sitting on my couch with my feet up, and for the first time, boris flew over and sat on my leg, and then a few seconds later, juanita came and joined him.....I didn't move or say anything. I just let them get used to the fact that I am not something to fear....so yesterday they did the same thing, but this time they decided to pull the hair on my leg (which hurts a little, but not as bad as being bitten!), but I'm thinking maybe the hair is a bit like feathers and they are trying to preen me......my point is, your efforts have paid off!! I remember reading how frustrated you were and am glad you can enjoy your little friend more and more...I tried to explain to a friend of mine that birds are way different than dogs and you have to do everything on THEIR terms, not ours... slow and steady wins the race! BTW- I have still not been able to get either one of them to step up onto my finger or hand (I believe this to be because they were a bonded pair when I got them) but they will step up onto a long wood dowel that I have......keep up the good work!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Love the picture. Glad you are proceeding even though it seems slowly. I am sure in no time we will have a message from you that your P'let is stepping up on command. I am working on having mine turn around and it's slow going. She got it first time but no reward no trick! LOL they are their own spirits.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
danamcmorris

danamcmorris is on a distinguished road

I'm so glad to here that things are getting a little better for you and your p'let.
danamcmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Lenette

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Lenette is on a distinguished road

I'll take your advice! Really! I remember reading this before I got my parrotlet and now I'm waiting for my boy to like me, but with this maybe our progress will move faster too. Thanks for posting this, I feel like this is what new parrotlet owners should look at who are having trouble bonding or being patient.
Lenette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Evelyn
Super Moderator

Evelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of light

This is a great post!! I am sure more people will learn from. I take back what I had said in the other thread..(maybe a Parrotlet is not for you)..You are doing a wonderful job ! I think a Parrotlet is so right for you, congrats on how far you and him have come!
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Rhyme

Rhyme is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Rhyme Send a message via MSN to Rhyme Send a message via Skype™ to Rhyme
Wow I'm so happy I never had to go through that. My friend got the bird I have when it was 2 months old. So he was already really well trained when I got him. I'm glad you are having a bit of progress though.
Rhyme is offline   Reply With Quote