Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Notices

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

Hello!

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 114 times.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Corsara

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Corsara is on a distinguished road

Hello!

I joined a few weeks ago concerned about my egg bound hen, and she is doing very well now! I can finally introduce my flock properly now that things have calmed down I purchased my bonded pair of GRUMPs (Green rumped) a month or so ago, and the hen was due to lay. She did so a couple of weeks later, but was egg bound for 2 of the eggs. She is on a clutch of 5, due to hatch any day now! I had to move the cage during incubation due to getting a new carpet, and she did leave the nest for a while, so not sure if the eggs are still alive. I have experience breeding birds, have homes lined up, and will keep any little ones that need me.

The hen is called Kfeetsa (means Hoppy, as she hops over the male!), and the cock is Sahkran (means Curious). I love listening to them vocalise!

I would love any feeding advice, what seeds are best? I feed chop and egg food daily, but I don't like the seed mix they came with as it's primarily sunflower and various millet seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9278.jpg (91.2 KB, 14 views)
Corsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

Hi. Welcome.

Beautiful birdies! I noticed that there were no toys around the cage. The picture was not the best angle, but do you have toys for them?
P'letts need plenty of chew toys and foraging toys, along with shredding toys, such as paper-cardboard-very thin balsa wood pieces, etc.
Was that fresh chopped fried eggs you offer your birds? How about fresh veggies every day. Fresh broccoli florets make a great healthy treat. Stick the florets in between the bars of the cage. You may have to offer veggies many times before they accept eating them. I broil and bake unseasoned chicken breasts and slice the pieces into very thin sections ( about the thickness of a quarter or nickle). Hard boiled eggs are great, all chopped up.

My green parrotlet named Humphrey Bogart Miller ( Bogie) is 8 years old and he loves cooked pepperoni from a pizza. He loves freeze dried strawberries, too.

I also put vitamins in his food or water. It makes a big difference in him.

I use Goldenfeast seed mix, the Australian blend, ABBA small hook bill blend, Higgins small hook bill blend, along with some hemp seeds, small amounts of safflower and sunflower seeds, Nutraberries, dried veggies, mineral block w/iodine or cuttle bone w/iodine, and any bird treats. Even some Cockatiel seed mix is good. Whew!

Keep on posting! Hey, readers out there! Post some of your experiences with your birdies!
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Corsara

There is no toys in there yet. I have gotten some for them though. They are still in the cage I bought them in, as they where already breeding. The previous owner was selling due to the birds waking his new baby, so they had to go ASAP. I plan to get the in a larger cage with toys as soon as this clutch is over. I might need to separate them or discourage egg laying to prevent further egg binding. Back to the point! I tried adding toys, but it scared them too much, and they were not pleased with anything so close to their nest.

I give them mashed well-boiled eggs, I've also tried fried and scrambled. I give fresh veg every day too. Thankfully they seem very happy to eat anything. Today it was a mix of baby corn, jalapenos, pea pods, carrots, broccoli, and sweet peppers.

Thank you for the advice on seed mixes! I'll see what I can find.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Hi!
You are right to dislike sunflower seed for them. I like Higgins Safflower Gold mix because it doesn't have any sunflower seed. I also offer a lot of Nutriberries, which Tumi LOVES. I don't know whether either of those are available in the UK, so hopefully some UK members will chime in to help. I don't know if grumps have any different nutritional needs from pacifics (I suspect not) but I do know that breeding ones need more protein in their diet. Honestly, scrambled egg I think it the best bet for mommy, as that literally replaces what she lost. Hopefully mommy and daddy are okay with you, because most breeders have the best results with co-parenting, when the parrotlets feed the babies but the human teaches the baby and handles them. It only works well, though, if the parents are okay with you picking up their babies. But as grumps are even smaller than pacifics, I can't imagine trying to handfeed those little creatures!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
kpenguins48

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Oh my gosh, they are so cute.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Malachi
Super Moderator

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Greetings! Lovely pair you have...good luck with the babies!
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #7
Corsara

I'm not likely to be able to co-parent, I can barely walk in the room with them without the retreating to the nest box! Like you said, they are tiny, so I'll probably either pull at 3 weeks or wait until they fledge and then work with them on taming. Thank you for the food recommendations!

Thanks, I think they are cute too
Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Corsara

How's this? Are these the right type? https://www.amazon.co.uk/LAFEBER-COM...+nutri+berries
Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Those are the right brand. There are a couple of flavors, and also original. Tumi likes the flavors and the original. I end up buying the original in a HUGE tub (seriously, I buy 4 pounds at a time at it doesn't last as long as you'd think with just one parrotlet). I would try these https://www.amazon.com/Lafebers-Clas...5T7CK937NKEGM9 and then if they like them don't hesitate to buy the big tub for little birds!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

I typically purchase the variety pack and mix it up a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote