Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Notices

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

New parrotlet parent!

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 256 times.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:12 AM   #11
BerryBonBon

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

BerryBonBon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Hi! And welcome!
My p'lett Bogie is in love (again) ! What a beauty! Bogie says hi to Berry.
Awwww she's a little charmer already haha! Thank you so much!
BerryBonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 05:21 AM   #12
BerryBonBon

What a lovely welcome from you all, thank you so much. It feels like a bit of pressure has been lifted if you know what I mean, knowing that there is such a wealth of information online in you all.
It's all well and good reading and researching but theory and practice are very vastly different!

She has surprised me so much already. Yesterday was her first day in our home (you know I keep calling her a 'she' and I actually have no idea on the sex of our little Berry), and within a couple of hours of her being in her cage in my bedroom she was making sweet quiet little squeaks and grinding her beak which told me she was happy (is that right?).
I admit I may have gone overboard on the enrichment and toys in her cage so I may have to remove some as I don't want to restrict her flying space. I'll post photos of that later just as soon as photobucket starts co-operating and would love your input.
She had a good feed and a little water, and then around 8pm she went very very quiet and when I checked on her she was asleep. We were watching a film so I didn't want the brightness of the TV to disturb her so just draped a blanket over the front of her cage and she was silent until I removed the blanket around 6:30am this morning.
I picked some seeds up out of her little food bowl and put them on the palm of my hand and put my hand in the cage as flat as possible and within a minute she had hopped onto my hand and was munching away and I about turned inside out with excitement haha!

My dogs are very curious about her but we don't allow them too close to the cage, but this morning my younger dog was looking at her and then wandered off (probably to annoy one of the cats) and she chirped very loud until he came back to look at her!

We love her already, can you tell? Hahaha!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #13
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Hehehe, life wouldn't be fun if we didn't spoil our creatures!
She needs 12 hours of sleep each night, so make sure you adjust the schedule to fit. If she is going to be up at 6:30am every day, then bedtime is 6:30pm. During the school year, Tumi has a 5:30pm bedtime because I get him up at 5:30am.
As far as dogs and bird, the personality of the dog is a huge factor in how much of an issue it is. If the dog is submissive, then it is unlikely to be a problem (but you should NEVER trust them because parrotlets look and sound like squeaky toys). If the dog is more interested in the bird, you might need to do more active training. I had a bird when I was younger and my family got a beagle, which is a very naturally curious dog. My solution to the beagle's curiosity was to YELL at him whenever he looked at the bird. It seems mean, but his overwhelming instinct is to smell and inspect EVERYTHING and to overcome that instinct is difficult. Once he was older, it worked out that he was trained that the bird was NO because they coexisted nicely. The bird even accidently landed on his back once, and he stood there until she was removed without even trying to smell her (unheard of for a beagle!). Tumi has spent a lot of time with my mom's bichon, and the training of PJ the bichon was easy. PJ showed no interest in Tumi, not even as Tumi showed interest in him (Tumi thinks PJ is a giant preening toy), so it was as simple as making my claim on Tumi very clear to PJ. PJ is a very submissive dog naturally and by training. Cats, btw, can't be trained to overcome their instincts and should always have a large physical barrier between them and the bird (like a door). Don't trust the bird cage to be sturdy, because it isn't.
No, the very important thing to know is that WHEN the bird takes off flying (it will happen), you should go for the dog instead of the bird. Yell, scream, intimidate, do whatever it takes to stop the dog from following their instincts and going for the bird. Once the other creatures are secured, then you turn your attention to the bird. This will happen at some point, so be prepared and remember that while it seems mean to YELL at the dog who hasn't done anything, the alternative is a dead bird.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #14
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryBonBon View Post
Thank you
I have to ask, I follow a parrotlet called Levi on Instagram, is that you?
Littlebluefluff? That's us! Great parrot community on Instagram.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Berry is very handsome - - - I am sure you will be a great Parront to him.
Keep him warm at night, feed him Nutriberries and he will have a good life.
Beware when puberty hits at 4-5 months. Knowing that it is a phase, letting him know in a gentle way you are the boss. Congratulations! Best wishes to you!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:13 AM   #16
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Hi, welcome to you and Berry!! She's a cute-pa-toot!! Sounds like your doing well and shes on her way to being spoiled. Dana gave you some good advice, be sure to ask us any other questions!!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #17
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

Hi, again!

I have read so many stories about how their bird got killed by another family pet . Rubydoo252 has some good advice and you should try it, but I personally had a very highly trained fox terrier that I was dog-sitting. It was my son's doggie. This dog is the same age as my 8 year old Bogie. I dog sit Coco 4 weeks a year and she knew not to even look at Bogie. She was trained to get way out of the way from Bogie when Bogie was in the same room.

One day, Bogie flew and landed 8 inches, right in front of Coco's nose. Coco looked at Bogie and got off the couch so fast, she fell over. I cracked up. Coco knew that Bogie was off limits...Period!

Then, the last time I watched Coco, every thing seemed fine. I re-introduced them and spoke loudly the words, " NO TOUCH. NO TOUCH!" Coco lowered her head and got a drink of water.

Every time I brought Bogie into the same room as Coco, Coco would go to her bed for a nap. I was in the kitchen and Bogie was on top of his cage, on the counter between the kitchen and Dining room. Bogie flew off his cage onto the counter and was looking down at the floor, away from me, and all of a sudden I got a sick feeling inside of me. " Where's the dog? " I thought.

I came around the end of the counter and, as fast as I could, put my hand in front of Bogie's face and I got bit on the hand by Coco!
Coco was already in the air, jumping up towards Bogie. If I was a tenth of a second later, Bogie would not be here today.

I yelled at Coco and she ran to her bed. She stayed away from me the rest of the day. She knew she was wrong, but she couldn't help herself. It was instinct that drove her to do this. She did not plan it and she had been the perfect pet up until that moment. 3 days ago, my son and his wife dropped by with Coco. The first thing Coco did was look to see where Bogie was sitting...and stayed far away from Bogie. It was so obvious. But, I would never trust her again--not even for a second.

You may never face this situation, but the chances are you will. Somewhere along the way, your cat or dog will have a bad day and take it out on the bird. Cats can handle most dogs, but they, for he most part, have that instinct to play with and kill birds and mice. You can be careful, but it only takes a second. I learned a big lesson. Just please be careful.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #18
BerryBonBon

Thank you for the warnings which I assure you I have heeded well. My dogs are not allowed to be unattended in the room with Berry's cage in (which is our bedroom) - and my younger dog (who is also the biggest in size) is kept away from the cage full stop. My older dog (who is a tiny chihuahua cross) is scared of his own shadow so just sits on the bed watching her in the cage. I only let her out the cage when the dogs are either out of the room or in their crates.
My cats aren't allowed in our bedroom at all and know not to attempt to go in there or they get a little spritz of water from a small plant sprayer.

I have a few questions so I'll post in the proper area now. Thank you again for the welcome xxx
Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #19
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Berry is a great name. She's very cute.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote