Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Notices

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

Hello from another newbie!

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 71 times.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
MsPixie

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

MsPixie is on a distinguished road

Hello from another newbie!

Hi everyone, I am very new to the Parrottlet world, in fact before last week I had no idea they even existed! Since then I have lived on YouTube and this forum, which by the way is amazing! I am so excited to embark on this journey. I'm a DIY girl and love crafts so I can't wait to make the toys, and maybe even a play stand. I'm still doing my research so we haven't gotten one yet but I feel like I have learned so much in the last week. Still trying to decide how to work the family dianmics, we have a cat and 2 dogs, a chihuahua and a border collie. I have narrowed down the cage to a vision cage in the beginning since I'm sure it will be a baby, then an HQ Victorian cage as a permanent home. But, I originally thought I wanted a girl, but all the eggbound horror stories are scary me! Any thoughts on weather to get a boy or a girl?
MsPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Hi, welcome!
Good for you don't need so much planning. Here are my thoughts on your questions:
I like the vision cages a lot, I have 4. Two small, one med, and one large. They are not the stacked versions. I also have two stacked breeding cages and an HQ cage as well.
If your gong to move him to a larger cage eventually, a small vision cage would do just fine for the first few weeks while he's still really young. I did this with all three of my Parrotlet. After they grow out of it, you can use it for a travel cage, or a take outdoor cage, even a sleeping cage. Several of us have "Sleeping" cages, reason being parrotlet need 12 hours of dark undisturbed sleep and many homes can not accommodate that when the cage is in the social area of the house (where it should be). So at bedtime we move out birds to a smaller cage in a quiet room to sleep. Two of my Parrotlet sleep in our room in little vision cages near our bed.

Boy or girl: Honestly parrotlet are like a box of chocolates if you know what i mean. I can say boy or girl you will love them. Personality will always vary. You don't really have to worry about eggs as long as you do the right things not to encourage laying and it's the same principle you have to follow with males not to get over hormonal also, so I see no difference there. I will say in my experience, the females I know and have can be more aggressive. They don't make a lit of different sounds, just chirp. Males name a variety but they can get quite loud also.

Cats and dogs can be managed but you must never leave your bird unattended around either especially the cat. Do not let the cat even have access to the cage, I know of a cat that ripped the wing off a Parrotlet right through the cage. Also the saliva of cat and dog are very dangerous, contact with it will make them very sick. (Also your own saliva can be dangerous but at least you can control not licking your bird. I've seen people let their birds drink out of a dog bowl and it makes me cringe)

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
MsPixie

MsPixie is on a distinguished road

So a large single level is too big for a baby? How long will a baby be in the smaller cage before it will need to be moved to the larger cage,(future HQ) The small seems REALLY small. But my plans were to have a cage I can set outside in our patio once in a while when we are out there. Is the medium cage too big for a baby? And never thought of a sleeping cage, hmmmmm
MsPixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
Malachi
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Greetings and welcome!

I have a little girl and she is very sweet. As violet shared, though, whether a boy or a girl doesn't matter so much, but rather finding an individual that 'shines' and that you feel a connection with...that's how I choose my birds. Good luck!
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

I use the small as a sleeping cage for Tumi, so that is a good option. It also would allow you to put the parrotlet to bed in a safe space (they need 12 hours of sleep) and then allow the cats and dogs more freedom.
You should know that both of those dog breeds are going to be a challenge to tame. Be VERY clear with them that the bird is "NO!" I suggest yelling at them for even looking at the bird. Parrotlets are the size, shape, and sound of a squeaky toy, so keeping them safe from even lazy dogs is a challenge. Cat should never be trusted, so plan on having a closed door between them at all time. Don't trust the cage to keep them safe.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

True advice from forum members. Can you designate a room for your bird initially? Birds scare easily and are traumatized. I may be off, don't know your living situation, please be careful.
Old Today, 01:10 AM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPixie View Post
So a large single level is too big for a baby? How long will a baby be in the smaller cage before it will need to be moved to the larger cage,(future HQ) The small seems REALLY small. But my plans were to have a cage I can set outside in our patio once in a while when we are out there. Is the medium cage too big for a baby? And never thought of a sleeping cage, hmmmmm
Darn just saw this sorry... No I don't mean it's "too big" I only mean you can start smaller if you want, the Small cage IS small for a full time adult home but a temporary transition cage, sleeping cage, travel cage it's just fine. The Large is adequate for a permanent cage so maybe not as versatile later on as a small would be.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote