Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

"chewing" bars

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 75 times.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
LorBow916

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

LorBow916 is on a distinguished road

"chewing" bars

Hello all! this is my first post and I have a 5 year old blue boy named Galileo. In November we lost his cage partner, Rio (age 4), suddenly. Since then he has not played with his toys at all. He was bonded to Rio and I had moved him into a smaller cage to bond with me. However, although he has done this time to time in the past, he sometimes "chews" on the bars of the cage (similar sound to a guinea pig who chews on their bars). Last night when I went to bed he did it for every 5 minutes or so. Does anyone else's parrotlet do the same?
LorBow916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
theteenygirl

Parrotlets Owned: 1

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Levi did it a lot when he was a baby, not so much anymore. One day I was working from home and he really really just wanted to be with me, so he was chewing the bars of his cage and calling for me. Eventually I had to take my laptop into the bedroom and close the door so he wouldn't know I was home.

I think it may be caused by stress, or boredom? Is it possible to move him back to his other cage? He may find that cage for comfortable, because it sounds like his life has been turned upside down. Sorry to hear about Rio
Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteenygirl View Post
Levi did it a lot when he was a baby, not so much anymore. One day I was working from home and he really really just wanted to be with me, so he was chewing the bars of his cage and calling for me. Eventually I had to take my laptop into the bedroom and close the door so he wouldn't know I was home.

I think it may be caused by stress, or boredom? Is it possible to move him back to his other cage? He may find that cage for comfortable, because it sounds like his life has been turned upside down. Sorry to hear about Rio
I like Christine's advice.
I have a Parrotlet that does this when she wants to come out very badly.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
LorBow916

LorBow916 is on a distinguished road

I returned him to his old cage he had shared with Rio. Today will be day two. I can try and keep him out later than usual at night before bed.
LorBow916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Malachi
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure with your boy this is an issue of grief, but also I'm inclined to share that I've seen numerous parrots chew on bars, bang on bars, and so on over the years in when wanting the attention of their person, but also in playful moods. My roommate has a cockatoo that will methodically 'beak bang' on the bars of her cage if he is away and she's missing him, or if he is home, she thinks she ought to be out but thinks she's is being ignored...vocal sounds also are included in her routine. It seems bar chewing and such can happen for several reasons...missing someone is among those reasons, and seeking attention is among those reasons.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Rio; I hope everyone heals from this loss!
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote