Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

"Screeching" and biting

Seeking some advice for negative behaviors

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 166 times.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Aleksandra.Makowska11@gma

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Aleksandra.Makowska11@gma is on a distinguished road

"Screeching" and biting

My little one is about a year old now, and he's a sweetheart who is very attached to me. He has two major problems though-

1. "Screeching"- He stays in his cage in our bedroom. When he wakes up, he screeches, very loud pesky sounds until we get up and open the cage for him. He also does it if he's not getting attention from me even when he is out, like if I'm talking to someone else. I live in an apartment, and I'm scared people will start to complain. Not to mention, it's really annoying. My solution so far has been to say "no" or "shhh" and reward with "good boy!" after moments of silence. Mostly, I end up putting him in his cage in the bathroom.

2. Biting- He loves sitting in my hair. He's learned that when i reach up, it's usually to remove him so he's started to bite. Not friendly nibbles likes he does at my nails but vicious attacks. Same thing happens when he's on his cage and I reach out to him (he knows I'm about to put him inside.) I've heard about "quiet beak" but it's hard to do that when he's biting!

Any advice?

Last edited by Aleksandra.Makowska11@gma; 05-29-2017 at 01:33 PM..
Aleksandra.Makowska11@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Do you cover your bird's cage at night? If not, that might help. Also, sometimes if a bird gets out of control with noise a "cover up time out" can help, just putting the cover on for a few minutes until they settle down, saying "quiet" as you do.

If sitting on your shoulder, or in your hair, is becoming a problem, don't let him go there. It's good to train your bird to stay on your hands and arms, and not to expect the shoulders, and such...those are special places for well behaved birds.

Good luck with your sweetie!
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Very normal bx for parroletts
Ollie is 3 1/2yrs and does both. He wants my attention to get out of his cage, like there is nothing else I have l to do but serve him. I take him out for a little bit and is satisfied with getting out, even for a little while.
Ollie is well behaved on my shoulder most times, except when he is bored or hungry, then he gets bitey. Still love my green monster as demanding as he is.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Cool

Hello!
Hmmm. You keep him in the bedroom during the day? Is he able to be around people all day?
What is his diet? Any veggies, or just plain old seeds or pellets? Does he have plenty of toys to play with? Do you have toys that you can hide treats ( like sunflower seeds, etc.) so he can dig into them and forage?
Do you fry an egg every once in a while and chop it up and let him have fun eating it? Chop up a little piece of broiled or baked chicken, not spiced, and give him some. Just don't put it on a dish, offer him different foods by putting the food in your fingers until he decides to like the food.
I have found that a bird with a fuller crop is a little more quieter.

During the day, put your bird or cage out in the open where things are going on around him. Let him see the TV or turn on the radio when he is noisy and see if he changes his attitude.

Does he step up? Every time? Read some of the forums on the left side of your monitor. It sounds like your little one needs more attention or distractions.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:14 AM   #5
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like typical naughty parrotlet behavior.
I agree with the above suggestions, working on keeping him below chest level will help so he dosent feel dominant.
As for the calling, there's lotts of suggestions like mentioned. Try a "cover" time out, sometimes calling back from another room helps just so they know your there, other times you may want to ignore it. I also find that sometimes there can be to much stimulation like from a window, (all my birds get a view) when I want to nap I close the curtains. Sometimes it works.
Don't worry about the neighbors, it seems loud to us but they won't notice. If they did I doubt they would think as much of it as a bird outside. Sometimes I can hear my birds from the yard but it's only because I know their "call" my neighbors never notice.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
perish_song

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

perish_song is on a distinguished road

Typical p'let!

My guy does the same stuff. I know that birds, like many other pets, typically like a routine to be followed--are you uncovering his cage at the same time every day or do you sometimes sleep in? I sleep in on weekends and since my dude is usually downstairs, he'll yell up at me to uncover him and get him out. If I want to go back to bed, I'll uncover him and then go back up. If I don't, I get him out. They get bored in their cages so easily! I try to get him out as much as I can so that he has enough stimulation, since I'm at work all day during the week.

I agree with others who say that if it's a problem when he gets on your shoulder, try to train him not to be there.

perish_song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biting, loud, punishment, rewards