Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Pictures of a barbering parrotlet.

This thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 878 times.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #21
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

All good things must end, I decided to let Huey sleep in a bit on Sunday because it seems like he does not really love to get up at 7 am even though he gets 12 hours of covered quiet time.

Well when I uncovered him there was a very nice secion of barbered feathers.... oh well, this last batch lasted longer than most.

I also have noticed that he is making that quacking sound again and is interested in his "girl friend toy". Maybe it is hormonal?

And we start over again.......
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 11:46 PM   #22
blutheparrotlet

blutheparrotlet is on a distinguished road

Hi. How old was Huey when he started barbering? My daughter's bird blu just started doing this to his belly. Trying to figure out the cause-new bunny, less time spent with the bird (she is 14). I do my best to spend time with him-he is always on my shoulder. However took him to the vet and they found he has fatty liver disease. always gave pellets mixed with seeds recommended by them from whole foods. He never ate the pellets. Has poor feather quality (vitamin deficiency)-switched to nutriberries which he loves.... Vet put a collar on him (made out of a pool noodle)-ended up putting it on too tight and ended up on oxygen at the vet all night....Doing fine but got a fleece collar and it is too heavy.. It looks like your bird is very happy despite his barbering....any suggestions? I feel so bad for him, like maybe another bird could keep his boredom at bay
blutheparrotlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #23
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutheparrotlet View Post
Hi. How old was Huey when he started barbering? My daughter's bird blu just started doing this to his belly. Trying to figure out the cause-new bunny, less time spent with the bird (she is 14). I do my best to spend time with him-he is always on my shoulder. However took him to the vet and they found he has fatty liver disease. always gave pellets mixed with seeds recommended by them from whole foods. He never ate the pellets. Has poor feather quality (vitamin deficiency)-switched to nutriberries which he loves.... Vet put a collar on him (made out of a pool noodle)-ended up putting it on too tight and ended up on oxygen at the vet all night....Doing fine but got a fleece collar and it is too heavy.. It looks like your bird is very happy despite his barbering....any suggestions? I feel so bad for him, like maybe another bird could keep his boredom at bay
Oh hey look you found Huey
Well you answered a lot of my other questions from the other thread. Poor baby, he has some health problem too. Sounds like your on the right track, just give him the best diet you can and keep trying to bond with him since he misses your daughter. Whatever you do, DONT get another bird. He will see it as an intruder and rightly so, because that bird will require your time and your already having a hard time giving Blu attention. Parrotlets do not often mix well as "friends" unless they are Mates and even then it can cause problems. Take it from me, I have 3 and none of them can interact with each other.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #24
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Hello, Hueys mom here.

I would agree geting a second bird will not help at this point. Huey is happy and healthy and that is why I started this thread, to show that even happy birds will barber/pluck.

In your case your blu has a health issue that needs to be addressed. I would like to offer something that I was told whe trying to convert my guy to pellets. They will eat when hungry, we tend to humanize the situation and we give them so many choices they just dont eat them.

I started giving pellets as treats outside of the cage but inside his food dish he did not eat them, but he ate all of the seed I gave him. I started reducing the seed amount and leaving the pellets in cage all day. Sure enough he was still hungry after eating the seeds and he started eating the pellets. Even now the first thing he does is go for the seed. (about a teaspoon full) then he hops over to his pellets and eat them the rest of the day.

Huey has been doing this for about 2 years now, I just think I figured out his case is hormonal, but I am not sure.

As far as the avicalm, I sprinkle it on his pellets daily and he eats it, again he will eat when hungy, I dont know if he likes it or not but it has not effected his eating and I do find it has helped.

Like Mrs JP3 said I have stopped the featheriffic because I found that worked a bit too good and he was getting feathers like mad and was really iratable.

My guy is not a bird that really loves to be handled so I never even thought of a cone or harness I just let him be. He is not hurting him self just pulling out the outer feathers and they grow back.

Good luck to you, hopefully you can get his health back and then everything else will fall into place.