Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Can Parrotlets cause Human eye infection?

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 127 times.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Orange

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Orange is on a distinguished road

Can Parrotlets cause Human eye infection?

Hello!

I recently adopted a baby parrotlet about 3 or 4 months ago as far as I can tell he is healthy, happy and active.

However recently my boyfriend developed a pretty serious eye infection and the optometrist thinks it might be because I let Lyric (My p'lett) run up and down my hair and shoulders. His eye swelled up really badly.

I have a vet check scheduled in a couple of days but does anyone know of this possibly happening? I'm pretty clean but Lyric is a baby and still learning the joys of bathing. Can his dander or such cause such a reaction?

Thank you for any advise you can give!
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

An unfortunate truth and often underappreciated about pet ownership is that we absolutely can get sick from our animals. Do you know the particular causative organism behind the infection? Without knowing that, it's hard to say definitively whether the eye infection could have been caused by bird contact.

Birds can also catch some forms of conjunctivitis from humans, sometimes with lethal effect, so try to limit how much time your boyfriend is spending with Lyric for now and be sure that hands are washed after hanging out.
sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Orange

Orange is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately all they can tell us is that is something "Foreign" that got in his eye.

I'm a little confused because he honestly hasn't come in contact with my p'lett in weeks nor do we live together. They're concerned that it carried over in my hair...
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

As a general rule avians and mammals are different classes of animals so most things like viruses do not pass back and forth between them, there are some exceptions. Some people are allergic to bird dust / powder and this can cause irritations especially of the lungs and the eyes. Parrotlets are an oil feathered bird so this is less of a problem than a dust feathered bird like a cockatoo but it can still happen. Bacteria of course can cause infections in any type of animal.

When we first got Jules I came down with conjunctivitis. (eye infection). It was not that bad but my eyes were red, itchy and stung a bit. The eye doctor gave me some drops for about a month that cleared it up. The thought process for us was that Jules dust irritated my eyes a bit which caused me to rub them more which allowed an entry point to bacteria that caused the infection. Anyway that was a few years back and it has not been an issue since for me.

Welcome to the site. We love pictures. Tell us about yourself and your little one. We are suckers for bird stories.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it sounds like they're being too quick to blame the bird. Your OWN natural bacteria in your hair could have caused it or even something entirely separate from you or Lyric. My money'd be on that last option.
sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Well obviously I'm not a Dr, but my general inclination would be no, unless it was a severe allergic reaction but I doubt it was some kind of special bird bacteria, that sounds odd to me.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

I kind of doubt that something could have transferred from Lyric to your hair, and then to your boyfriend's eye. A guy I work with has two daughters and they come down with conjunctivitis like every other month, and have passed it on to him and his wife a bunch of times. It's highly contagious. He could have picked it up from anywhere.

We would love to see pictures of baby Lyric though, he sounds like quite the ham!