Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Parrotlet Housing

Notices

Parrotlet Housing Discuss parrotlet housing here.

2 birds separated in 1 cage?

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 152 times.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
Lynn86

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Lynn86 is on a distinguished road

2 birds separated in 1 cage?

Hello! OK so I'm new here and this is my first post. my question is can I keep two birds in one cage but separate somehow? I recently got a baby budgie and a baby parrotlet. I've been housing them separately but recently got a larger cage that both of them can fit in comfortably, however I want to keep them separate still. I tried using a baking sheet to separate the two in the one cage one bird on top one bird on bottom. After about a week my parrotlet figured out a way to push the baking sheet to one side of the cage and squeeze through the opening to be with the budgie. He seems to love her and they cuddle and talk to eachother and give eachother little kisses, it's cute but I want them to bond with me!! I'm jealous! I'll include a photo so you can see what I mean. Please tell me is this a good idea at all or should I just totally keep them into separate cages any advice or ideas would be helpful and appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2201.jpg (98.3 KB, 21 views)
Lynn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Hi and welcome to the forum!
While parrotlets are babies, they are often ok with sharing space with others. However, once they hit puberty (4-6 months) they often become cage aggressive and have been know to maim or kill other birds. Additionally, as you want them to bond with YOU, co-housing will prevent this. The simple answer: 2 birds = 2 cages. Parrotlets are difficult to manage in the same cage when they are a bonded pair of male and female, and I have never heard of a parrotlet sharing with a non-parrotlet. Additionally, as you want to bond with them, you will need to take them out separately and out of sight of the other bird so that you can really develop a relationship. Read up on Bonding and Training for some good tips.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Hi - if the cage isn't built to have one bird on top of the other and you're just sort of fashioning it that way, it's likely that one (probably the parrotlet) will be able to find a way down to the other and I don't think it would end well...

I recently saw a post on Instagram.. a woman fashioned a cage divider of some kind to separate her male and female lovebirds and unfortunately the female found a way through the divider while she wasn't home and ended up killing the male.

While it's definitely easier to have them share a cage, it's safer for them each to have their own.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

I had a parakeet and parrolett both as babies, same age in their own cages almost next to each other. They got along great initially, but after puberty forget it.
My dear little parakeet recently passed at age 3. So now it's only Ollie. He is enough for me.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 AM   #5
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I agree with what the others have shared, to put it simply parrotlet and other species are best kept supervised with caution after puberty. Like Linda said they might still be friends but a close living quarters is probably not a good idea.
Deffinatetly the cage you have now should not be divided, it looks potentially​ dangerous. You can buy cages with dividers but even then a toe can get bit through the bars (unless it's actually two stacked cages but technically that's not a divider anyway)
I think your best bet here is to keep the Parrotlet in the current cage, and get another cage for the budgie. You can keep them housed near each other and let them play supervised as long as they are getting along.
I think I have that same cage, it's a good size for the Parrotlet. If you dont my have a ton of extra space, your budgie will be ok in a slightly smaller cage.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
Lynn86

Thank you so much for all the replies. I have them in separate cages and just keep a close eye on them when they are out of the cage.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
Lynn86

Also, I do have them in the same room but on opposite sides. Is this ok?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Same room but side by side would probably be okay even, but opposite sides is good. When I have Levi at my parents' house we keep his cage on the opposite side of the living room from our lovebird and they pretty much ignore each other. With birds, ignoring each other is safest.