Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

2 Questions: Pansies and Pet Supply Plus

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 128 times.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Gypsy

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Gypsy is on a distinguished road

2 Questions: Pansies and Pet Supply Plus

Can a parrotlet safely eat a pansy?

He does not eat a lot of the seed I buy of the premium brands. Lot of waste. So, I was thinking of buying the bulk cockatiel seed at Pet Supplies Plus. Is that OK? Doesn't seem to be any artificially colored seed there. He eats a lot of:

Broccoli, egg yolk, corn niblets, orange peel, parsley, garbanzo beans, mash from a breeder. Won't eat any melons, citrus, grapes or fruits. He attacks and throws around bits of berries but doesn't seem to eat them. I think he enjoys making a mess.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

Hello and welcome.

Pansy seeds? This is a new one for me. They are probably not necessary. You must be careful with seeds. Do you know the danger foods for a parrotlet? Look at the forums in the left side of this page. You need to read each one, for sure.
Some cockatiel mixes are okay, but try to stay away from some of those pet stores. Order your food on-line from known bird food suppliers. You can Google in parrotlet food supplies or a variety of other words. Golden Feast---Rowdy Bush- Higgins--ABBA-, these are a start. Your bird is a small hook bill. Not a parakeet and not a full blown parrot.

Chopped up broccoli is fine, but try to put out a broccoli floret. Just lay it on a small dish on the counter or in his cage and leave it for a while. He will most likely feed on it.

I do not think she will mind, but send a personal message to Grace. She is a member of this forum and she will give you suggestions. She sure helped me out with my Bogie!
Grace-I hope you don't mind me suggesting this. You are such a helpful person!What is the name of your birdie? Send some pictures. We love pics!
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

When you pick a seed, make sure that his favorite seed is either in it (if it is healthy) or not in it at all (for sunflower seeds). Then he will eat something at least. Tumi is a brat about seed, but he likes best Higgins Safflower Gold. I have the Volkman's right now, and I don't like it (and Tumi agrees that it isn't as good).

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Gypsy

Gypsy is on a distinguished road

Hi David,

I meant the pansy flower itself, not the seeds. We have pansies growing here. I did a search and it seems no one has mentioned them. Wanted to know if they are poisonous? We named him Ziggy and he is slowly, slowly, slowly coming along in terms of "putting up" with humans. I had started the thread "Is 5 months too old to train a p?" Photos soon.

And Ruby,

I have tried many of the name brand premium seed mixes over the lifespan of 5 parrotlets thus far, and I'd say the majority is thrown onto the floor of the cage or not eaten. So...why not go with bulk? I try to make seeds a small portion of the diet due to it causing fatty liver. And I have given up on pellets, have tried them all including the smallest size. He won't touch them.

Thanks

P.S. I just retired from 41 years of servicing marketing departments and agencies. I don't trust a word from any company anymore. These "premium" seed companies, is there any evidence that they have submitted their products for an independent lab analysis? It seems they are all driven by reputation to me. How do we know which company to trust? It is similar to browsing an aisle of nutritional supplements...

Last edited by Gypsy; 05-18-2017 at 09:40 AM..
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Pansies should be fine. Other violets too. I wouldn't actively feed my guy any because all the sources around here would be contaminated by auto debris or lawn care items, but I wouldn't freak out if he managed to nab one. If you have a clean source they might be a fun occasional addition to the diet.

Parrots certainly do love making messes when they eat! It sounds like you're feeding a nice mixture of foods so I wouldn't worry about a small amount of bulk seed unless that mix contains corn or peanuts. Aflatoxin contamination can occur in lots of foods but those two sources are particularly commonly affected.

Last edited by sanguinaria; 05-18-2017 at 10:21 AM..
sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Grace

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Grace is on a distinguished road

I have lost track of all the brands of seeds I have tried but what my birds eat best is a mix of Higgins Sunburst Cockatiel and Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill Legume. This combination offers a wide variety of seeds. I only offer small amounts of seed at a time so they will eat all the different types of seeds. I also feed Roudybush pellets and a large variety of fresh and cooked foods. I believe fom what I have read that parrotlets need some seed in their diet and that's why I feed what I do. There are lots of ways to achieve a good diet though and the best diet is no good if your bird will not eat it.

Gypsy, I would be happy to answer any questions about the types of seed I have tried.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

Hi, Gypsy!

Pansy flowers would be okay, leaves and the flower petal only ( insecticide free).

I just remembered something--millet! Always have a millet spray hanging near a perch so Ziggy can munch away if he wants to. My Bogie will eat a lot of millet, then won't touch it for a while.I just leave it hanging--There is practically no life span to worry about. It is a good emergency food source. I grow my own and it is much better that store bought. A friend of mine sent me some from Germany and the German kind is a little bigger, seed-wise.

I mentioned earlier that I had a problem with Bogie and his eating habits. He practically starved himself. He was 34 grams heavy and ended up 23 grams lite. He looked terrible. After a lot of great advice from this forum, it was Grace who got me to try many different kinds of seeds and approaches to feeding Bogie.

After many sleepless nights, I was desperate to get Bogie to eat enough to stay alive. I sat next to one of his feeding dishes and laid my head next to it on the kitchen table. Bogie came up to me and just stared at me! It was weird. I said to him, " Bogie's yum yum. Bogie's Pretty yum yum." ( These are the words he uses when he sees me and runs up to me while I put out some treats).

Bogie jumped up on the dish and started eating like he used to eat. I joined in and ate my breakfast, too. We always put food out for him to have, just like everybody else does. He did not want us to do it that way anymore! He now eats the majority of his foods when my wife and I sit down to eat our meals. He was using his " Flock Mentality" on us. He wanted to eat 'with' some other member of his flock! ( My wife and I). He is eating just fine, now. He nibbles during the day, but breakfast, lunch and dinner is eaten with me and my wife.

Bogie just got it in his mind one day that he wanted 'his' flock to act like his flock! My neighbor came over for lunch the other day and I set the table, with Bogie's plate on the table. My neighbor looked at me and raised his eyebrows. I said, " This is your plate," then proceeded to put pieces of broccoli and carrots, along with seeds. " Whaaat? This is for me?" I said, " Yes! Your wife told me you were on a new diet and this is what she wanted me to feed you." Tom ( my neighbor) started laughing when Bogie flew over to the plate to eat off that plate! He was relieved!

Maybe you need to feed Ziggy by hand....just a little bit. Do this often and maybe he will get motivated! Bogie weighed 30 grams this morning. Verbally label your foods for him, like, say, " Veggie yum yum? Veggie yum yum?" or " Triscuit yum yum?" or "Cheese yum yum?" He will learn what each treat or seed is which!

I can say, right now to Bogie, " Cheese yum yum? " and he will fly to my shoulder and watch me get his treat. Works every time.
Thanks!
David, Vicki, and Bogie.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote