Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Do It Yourself

Notices

Do It Yourself If you want to build your own parrotlet toys, cage, or any other parrotlet-related projects, talk about it here for ideas and help.

How to clip wings?

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 6953 times.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Flugmeister
Banned

Experience: Parrotlet Expert

Flugmeister is on a distinguished road

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelpopp View Post
Flugmeister, that really was a great video. It's better than all the ones that I posted combined! Thanks for posting it! I'll be sure to recommend it to other people that need help clipping their birds' wings!
I stumbled on it by accident since the parrotlet (Stewie) was one of three birds clipped. I used it when I clipped Copi. Later, when I took him to an avian vet to have his beak trimmed (scissors beak beak from the breeder!), the vet commented on what a good job the clip was.

Copi can easily flutter down to the floor to keep from hurting himself, but that is it. A parrotlet is an easy bird to lose since they are so small, so no long distance flying for Copi.
Flugmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
mmmiu

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

mmmiu is on a distinguished road

I just clipped Bernie's first 2 feathers myself for the first time and I feel kinda bad It's just the primary feathers (P10 and P9) because he's been getting to much height now.
He was clipped by the breeder and the vet took a few more in January, so about 9 in total per side. His feathers are growing back from those clips and because I'm going on vacation and my mother in law is looking after him, I don't want him to crash into things when he's there and flapping about.
He still has 2-3 left that hasn't grown back from the vet/breeder clip but after me clipping the first two, he doesn't t get as much height and can't reach the top of the kitchen faucet where he likes to perch. Anyone think he'll be able to fly better when the other feathers grow back even with the first two clipped?
I feel terrible...
Old 05-16-2017, 02:54 AM   #13
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Even with just a few new feathers you would be surprised how they take off.
I know how you feel. I hate clipping my birds and I'm wrestling with having to do it again.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2017, 03:02 AM   #14
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpunkbetty View Post
I need to clip Nila's wings...i have a book, but wanted to hear from you guys on how you do it!!!

thanks bunches
Here is a thread all about wing clipping
http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=71345

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #15
mmmiu

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #16
Darlene2u

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Darlene2u has a spectacular aura aboutDarlene2u has a spectacular aura aboutDarlene2u has a spectacular aura about

My parrotlets and Bourke's are all fully flighted, but Ricky, my 10 month old red belly parrot, was starting to be able to fly between rooms and I don't feel comfortable with a larger bird having free flight, mostly for his own safety. He also needed his too-long talons trimmed.

I was too nervous to try myself, so I took him to the vet yesterday and had the wing and nail trims done there. From a post further up this thread, I would say he has what would be called a cosmetic trim (according to that description). It was the best $45 I've spent in a long time. Now I won't have to worry about him smashing into the walls anymore, he just seemed to be a more clumsy flier than my smaller birds, so I have no regrets. My hands also thank me, I was looking like a pincushion.

Cheeky and Rascal
Darlene2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #17
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Ricky got a mani/pedi! Parrotlets don't tend to need pedicures, fortunately, but my cockatiel needed those regularly and I got some scratches when hers got long. Tumi is a clipped bird for SAFETY, after a terrifying bird verses window moment a couple of weeks ago when I thought he was dead. He still sports a bruise on his beak, and I was a mere four feet away from him when he took off flying. Sometimes birds need to be clipped, and it is the best thing for everyone.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #18
Darlene2u

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Darlene2u has a spectacular aura aboutDarlene2u has a spectacular aura aboutDarlene2u has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
Ricky got a mani/pedi! Parrotlets don't tend to need pedicures, fortunately, but my cockatiel needed those regularly and I got some scratches when hers got long. Tumi is a clipped bird for SAFETY, after a terrifying bird verses window moment a couple of weeks ago when I thought he was dead. He still sports a bruise on his beak, and I was a mere four feet away from him when he took off flying. Sometimes birds need to be clipped, and it is the best thing for everyone.
hahaha.....that's what I was thinking too, he had a mani/pedi! My little birds seem to take care of their nail trims themselves, but his were so sharp that when I would try to get him back in his cage he would dig in, and I literally could not shake him off my hand. I didn't really think they were that long, I thought they were just super sharp, until the vet tech mentioned that they were very long. I will definitely be treating him to more 'spa' days....lol.

Cheeky and Rascal
Darlene2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
mmmiu

Oh my...I don't think lil Bernie trims his nails..... if he did, he does a terrible job lol
I have the size small pedi perch and I make him climb on that before letting him get on my hand (I made sure to gave it upside down with the smooth side up to avoid him hurting the bottom of his feet). Don't think the perch is doing much...maybe it's too wide