Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Pictures

Notices

Parrotlet Pictures Share your pictures of your little feathered friends here!

New baby photo

This thread has 49 replies and has been viewed 910 times.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #41
kiwibirder

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kiwibirder is on a distinguished road

Well, here he is! I could not be more pleased. Oliver is absolutely darling.

I was SHOCKED at how LITTLE he is! My English Budgies would have DWARFED him, lol...

I have not been around a real, live Parrotlet for quite some time, obviously. I've only ever seen one up close and in person once, in a very nice bird store in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. All my other "experience" with Parrotlets has come from books and videos. So Oliver looked TINY to me! Hardly bigger than a hummingbird! I had to giggle when I got my first glimpse of him. He's like a little birdie toy!

The breeder had an urgent family situation to deal with this afternoon, and could not be at home, so her husband transferred him to me instead. (She offered to change our appointment time, but I wanted to stick with the plan, so I would have time to get Oliver settled over the weekend before going back to work on Monday morning.)

Her husband is a REALLY nice man, but he is not a bird person. So it was up to me to get little Oliver out of his cage and into my travel cage.

Well, I could tell right away that Oliver is no shrinking violet! He was dying to come out of the cage, and climbed right onto my hand and would have taken off exploring had I not gently restrained him.

I was able to get him into my little travel cage, and into my car, with no problem. Here he is in the travel cage on the front seat:

We had a rather harrowing one-hour drive home, with crazy rush hour traffic, constant road work, police sirens, bumpy roads, you name it. It was very stressful, but he handled it like a champ! I talked to him the whole way, and he munched on millet and climbed the cage bars.

When we FINALLY got home, I got his food and water dishes filled, and let him come out of the travel cage. He stepped right up onto my finger. He stayed there for few minutes, but then began eyeing his nearby "big cage" and I could tell he was going to try to fly to it. His wings were just clipped, so I figured it was time to put him in there before he hurt himself.

WELL, it took him about 10 minutes to try out three of his four swings, eat some pellets, drink some water, climb all over at least half of the cage exploring, and finally settle down INSIDE a food dish to gorge himself on some seed. He is still sitting there eating, 15 minutes later!

I don't think I needed to worry so obsessively about setting up his cage as a baby cage at first. He climbed all over the place, hung upside-down, and even flew from swing to swing like a pro. I am amazed! I AM going to keep the layers of fleece on the bottom for a few weeks, in case he falls, but he seems quite capable of using the regular food dishes.

Here are some photos:

I can't believe he is finally here!
kiwibirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #42
sanguinaria

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!!! What a BEAUTIFUL, sweet little boy! You two are going to have so much fun!

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #43
kiwibirder

Thank you!

I have "half" covered his cage right now, figuring he would need to start settling down to go to sleep, but he seems as active as ever. It's probably the stress of the new surroundings. I'm sitting near the cage, so he doesn't feel too lonely. He is chirping to me here and there, and climbing all over the place.

I suppose I won't cover the cage completely tonight, and I'll have to leave at least a dim light on in the room. I don't want him to get frightened and hurt himself during the night.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #44
Bluewing

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Bluewing is on a distinguished road

It looks like things are off to an amazing start for you and your little guy! Congrats on beginning your new life as a parrotlet parront. Enjoy every moment! I recommend a vet check once he's all settled and there's a good bond forming. There are some books and videos out there about training your bird certain things that will help make vet visits less stressful for them. I'm working toward that for my Bijou & Chip, but since your bird is so young, it's probably a great time to start with a good foundation that will benefit him down the road.
Bluewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #45
kiwibirder

Thanks. Will definitely have a check up soon. I do have an avian vet, so that's good. Good idea on the training.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #46
theteenygirl

Parrotlets Owned: 1

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

WOW He is BEAUTIFUL!

What an awesome transition home. I can tell you that Levi's did not go that well!! Haha

Can't wait to hear more stories about this little guy
Old 05-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #47
laracroft

laracroft is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! He's adorable. I especially love the picture of him in his food dish. Micah's transition home was not quite as smooth either--it involved Micah ending up on two different ceiling fans, and me too scared to do anything about it because he was SO LITTLE. We both had some adjusting to do. You get used to how small they are, and their personalities make them seem bigger, but it still hits me sometimes--such a teeny tiny dinosaur!

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #48
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

HI.

Congrats! He looks very healthy to me and he is a spitting image of my Bogie. I remember how Bogie looked when he was young. Bogie was 8 weeks old when I got him and was a beautiful addition to our human family.

Re-read all the things you have posted here in this forum. You write well and are very descriptive. Add your words to a life journal of your little one, starting with your earlier words of anticipation!

His trip home is a nice narrative to read and you would love to read this narrative 10 years from now, wouldn't you? Add pictures and you could also add words about Oliver from other forum member's statements.

Put in his results from vet visits, his first cold or moodiness. I wrote almost a chapter about Bogie when he went through his terrible two's and I learned a lot about the makings of the Parrotlet! Do more research and add comments from that research to the journal of Oliver's Travels. The p'lett is a mystifying dwarf parrot.
Keep in touch!

David and Bogie.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #49
kpenguins48

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
He looks great! Congratulations on your new addition.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #50
Rolfe

Rolfe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibirder View Post
So excited...this is my little Oliver, at around 2 weeks of age. He is a normal green. Second from the left. Photo sent to me by the breeder.

He doesn't look like much, yet, but I am sure he will be magnificent!

So cute, I love them when they're babies.
Rolfe is offline   Reply With Quote