Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Bonding help

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 176 times.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 AM   #1
Liltinks89

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Liltinks89 is on a distinguished road

Bonding help

Hi there, I purchased 2 parrotlets at the end of January, they came as a pair, as first time pet owners we were a little worried but we have made good progress with Beryl our blue Parrotlet, but Sidney isn't havin any of it haha! Beryl will fly to us and gets excited when she sees us, chirps and hops around the cage and will take treats and also try's to groom us (well I think she is anyway) and she is very confident, surprisingly she has been so easy to get to know! She doesn't bite either she had nibbles when we first started handling her but didn't bite as in bite bite, and still doesn't she seems to Push her luck tho. Now anyway We dont wanna separate Sid and Beryl as they don't fight and they always seem to be together, Sid will come out if Beryl is out but only when he knows we are not going to do anything, we often have to turn away and he flys and follows her, however even tho h sees Beryl climbing all over us and getting up to mischief, he doesn't wanna know he will not come to us at all, even giving him a treat is a challenge, we often have to put it down in front of him first and leave it, he will try it and then maybe he will eat out of our hands, He seems really scared sometimes and others he just backs away and we don't really know how else we can make him comfortable, has anyone had two parrotlets who have always been together like this that have any tips? X
Liltinks89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Malachi
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

It's not uncommon when people have two parrotlets that one might be more oriented to humans and bonded than the other, from one to another they can be very different personalities. Given that what your doing has worked well for one I'd just suggest doing what you've been doing, open to whatever is comfortable with your less social bird...open to whatever relationship is good for Sidney.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:20 AM   #3
BrentMiller

BrentMiller is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I agree.
BrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Bluewing

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Bluewing is on a distinguished road

I've noticed with my pair that they pick up on issues of fairness. I sometimes slip into the habit of paying more attention the more social bird (Chip) and then my more independent girl (Bijou) picks up on it and it makes things worse. I've found if I flip the equation and give her more of the attention that she's comfortable with, it makes a huge difference and Chip doesn't seem to get jealous at all. In terms of attention it usually comes down to just talking or singing to her in a nice voice and I can tell she really loves it and then is more likely to want to step up for me and perch on my shoulder. I find I have to kind of win her over with my voice first and then the rest follows. I'm also lucky in that they don't really fight either, but what makes it challenging is that their personalities are so different. I've found it's really important to be intentional about how I interact with them individually because they really pick up on it.
Bluewing is offline   Reply With Quote