Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Sunflower seeds and safflower seeds

Does your bird eat them?

This thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 710 times.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
Malachi
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Sky doesn't eat sunflower seed, but she'll eat some safflower seed here and there. In general she doesn't like anything too big, so even her fresh foods need to be minced very tiny, then she will much away.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #12
Strix.nebulosa

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Strix.nebulosa is on a distinguished road

Beaker will eat sunflower seeds, though I don't feed them. He will not touch safflower, which is good because they are both high in fat. I buy budgie mix to sprout only and he gets a little bit of goldenfeast daily.

Helix D.O.B Jun-05-15 Gotcha: Sep-16-15
Strix.nebulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:16 AM   #13
LisaSF

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

LisaSF is on a distinguished road

I noticed after I fed my parrotlet Volkman, her poop became black and watery, and sometimes she would spurt out just liquid. Is this what happened to yours? As soon as I removed it from her cage, after a day, her poop went back to it's normal, solid olive green.
LisaSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSF View Post
I noticed after I fed my parrotlet Volkman, her poop became black and watery, and sometimes she would spurt out just liquid. Is this what happened to yours? As soon as I removed it from her cage, after a day, her poop went back to it's normal, solid olive green.
Are you certain she ate the Volkman? Some birds don't adjust to new food quickly, and have to be taught that the new food is actually food. To me it sounds like she didn't eat at all. Also, black poop to me screams for a vet check, because that is not normal. There is no black food dye in Volkman's, so there is no innocent explanation (if there is dye, sometimes the poop changes colors from that).

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #15
kiwibirder

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kiwibirder is on a distinguished road

I know that with budgies, they can have tarry, black poop as a result of NOT eating, so I wonder if that was the issue?
kiwibirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #16
LisaSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
Are you certain she ate the Volkman? Some birds don't adjust to new food quickly, and have to be taught that the new food is actually food. To me it sounds like she didn't eat at all. Also, black poop to me screams for a vet check, because that is not normal. There is no black food dye in Volkman's, so there is no innocent explanation (if there is dye, sometimes the poop changes colors from that).
Yes, she definitely ate it. I had one dish with Volkman and one dish with her normal food and when I put it the Volkman in, she went straight for it and ate the safflower seeds like there was no tomorrow. I know that's all she ate because her normal food went untouched while the Volkman was in there and I actually saw her eating it, as she eats even if I'm watching her. She is not hard to introduce new foods too. The only thing she doesn't really care for are fruits. But she ate quinoa, chia seeds, spinach, kale, straight away. As soon as I removed the Volkman one morning, that same evening, her poop was back to normal.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #17
LisaSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibirder View Post
I know that with budgies, they can have tarry, black poop as a result of NOT eating, so I wonder if that was the issue?
See my response below, she was most definitely eating.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:12 AM   #18
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I think I just replied to a question like this somewhere else... Yes I notice a change in the dropping when my birds eat Volkmans, but not like you described. It's a brighter green and way mushier and hard to pick up probably from the fat content of all the Safflower. My regular dry/seed mix the dropping are a darker green and easy to pick up consistently.
(Except Jasper, he has the grossest poo ewe...I don't know what he does. I think it's a love for water)

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote