Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge

Notices

Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge In memory of those who have gone over the rainbow bridge. Though they may not be with us, they will always be in our heart.

Astrid

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 411 times.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #1
ironicreativity

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

ironicreativity is on a distinguished road

Astrid

Astrid.jpg

Of course I only read about it after it happened... I had only had this little fluffball of sunshine for a few months, but she had already become a huge part of my life...
...and I fell asleep with her. I shouldn't have taken her out of the cage in the first place, but I had gotten home from work and she wanted to come out of the cage to say hi to me... I was too tired. I woke up the next morning with the cage door open and her under me. I think what really killed me was how light she was, she hadn't gained the weight that thing do once they've been "gone" for a while. It could have just been a matter of minutes to have saved her life.

I had to fill the cage again. I gave her a proper burial that night in the back yard, after the rest of my family had gone to bed. It gave me at least some sort of closure, I knew I couldn't do anything to help her at that point. But I had to fill the cage again.

I felt guilty the whole week, having found a breeder with a clutch all ready to go home. She was about 2.5 hours away (the first breeder had only been 20 minutes away), but I had to fill the cage. This time, rather than picking one out beforehand, I decided to go meet them first -- 2 green boys, 2 green girls, and a blue boy.

Seven days after the loss of my baby girl, I took the trip, I met the breeder, and I met 5 amazing little birds. I couldn't choose one, but that's why I didn't try before hand -- I wanted one to choose me (a bit Harry Potter-esque, huh?) I started with the 4 green babies, and they were all just as sweet as the other, and they all stepped up when asked to, but when I got to the blue boy, he skipped the step up and flew right onto the bridge of my glasses, looking me right in the eye.
13453012_1338376592874334_1142371355_o.jpg
He was the one, he was a little bit snappy at first (still is almost exactly a month later now) but Echo is just as loving as Astrid was. I'll always miss my first baby girl, but Echo and all his little quirks have helped to fill the hole that she left after her short time with me.
ironicreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 02:28 AM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Unhappy

Things are so sad these days. So sad. Life goes along so easily, then BAM ! The unexpected...the tragedy.....the guilt....the guilt.
You now have another beautiful work of God and what a beauty! I hope this " Echo " rings true for a long time.

Welcome.

David,... and Bogie, the parrotlet.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
TheBeans

Parrotlets Owned: 1

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

I'm sorry for your loss of Astrid but I am very happy that Echo chose you as his new parront. He sounds like a wonderful little birdie.

Daisy & Wendy
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Sorry for the loss of Astrid---it's heartbreaking. All the guilt.
Glad you didn't give up and got a baby boy---Echo. He is so handsome!! Treat him like he deserves---a prince.
I hope I never doze off with my Ollie---some days when feeling rather lethargic, it can happen. He wants to be with me so bad, yet I need some rest in the afternoon. His cage is the best place he can be. Best to you.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I am so sorry, you must still be devastated by this accident. I'm so glad you joined our forum, thank you for sharing with us about your loss and we very much look forward to hearing all about Echo.
(Are there pictures of Astrid? I can't see them but I would love too.)

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:27 AM   #6
Lore

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Lore is on a distinguished road

So sad to hear about you losing Astrid, it must've been hard to process it all. But I am glad you have Echo with you now! I am sure he will help you with it all, since he clearly did choose you.