Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Talkparrotlets.com News and Tech Support > Site Feedback and Discussion

Notices

Site Feedback and Discussion Let us know what you think. Leave us some comments or suggestions for the site. Have a question about how something works on the site? You can ask your questions here.

A mate for Jimmy

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 598 times.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
alisonkg

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

alisonkg is on a distinguished road

A mate for Jimmy

Hello, I'm hoping some experienced Parrotlet owners can advise me here! Jimmy is a 3-4 year old celestial parrotlet, we've had him since he was a few months old. He is tame, will sit on fingers or shoulders.

We now have a one year old baby and Jimmy is looking a little sad (and squawking much more than he used to) as even though I am at home more there is limited time he can sit with me as I'm holding a grabby baby or running around after him! And my husband is working really hard as I'm not!

We've thought about rehoming him, but we are very sad at loosing him so we've decided to get him a mate.

We've found a good breeder who has some females that are 8 weeks old and regularly handled.

The thing is that we don't really want chicks, is it possible to keep a mated pair and not breed without feeling really cruel, removing eggs and upsetting the hen?

Also can people see a problem with the age gap?

We have a big house so can get a second cage, keep it in separate room to start and slowly introduce them.

Are there any good books? There is some info on line but I've found it patchy.

Any general advice welcome!
alisonkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 05:22 AM   #2
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Hi and welcome!
Some forum members are more familiar regarding this issue, but from what I've read, separate cages should be fine if you don't want to breed them. They could be out during the day, separated otherwise.
I have two males, one budgie and one parrotlet. Sometimes they are both out, but far easier
to have one out at a time for attention & bonding. Best to you!
Old 03-26-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
alisonkg

alisonkg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your response, but I don't think I was clear, we are hoping that they can live in the same cage long term. Just settling them in 2...
alisonkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

It is not possible to keep two parrotlets in one cage without one of two things happening:
1) they fight each other, and potentially injury or kill each other
2) they fall in love and mate, producing eggs.

I'd like to throw a very different suggestion out there. I recently started a new job that keeps me away for long periods, and I was feeling guilty. So I bought Tumi a beta fish! I put it in a tank right beside his cage, and Tumi enjoys watching it swim around all day. It isn't another bird, but Tumi definitely does not want another bird. Instead, it is like a television set for him when I can't be there with him all day long. And he loves it. I can post a link to the 3 gallon tank I bought - it is low enough maintence that I only have to change the water once a week, and I have no fish experience. Anyway, I REALLY recommend getting Jimmy a pet to keep him company! And beta fish like living alone just like parrotlets, so it is a perfect mix.

Here is the fish tank I have. It is covered on top, so perfect for Tumi. http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29041-Ha...ords=fish+tank

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

My opinion is only get another bird if you want another bird.

Your situation with the baby will ease up and you will be able to still interact with Jimmy.

Birds can adapt to different situations very nicely, we as humans sometimes feel guilty and think that is the cause of the birds moods. Unless you have time for two, I would just try and give whatever you can to Jimmy and create a new normal for him. It sounds like he is very much loved and I am sure he knows it.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Here's my 2 cents... I have 5 year old twins and went through what you were going through... except that I had 6 birds when my girls were babies.

Birds are adaptable and will learn new schedule changes. I had my guys out when my girls were napping or when hubby was home and watching the kids (and no, my hubby did not care or interact with the birds as he's scared of them).

With that said, a new bird/mate may not be the solution unless you want another bird. You may run into these possible scenarios:
1. they fall in love with each other and you become the third wheel and they no longer need the interaction from you (including when your baby is old enough to not need you as much). And if you get a potential mate, there's no sure way of ensuring that eggs/babies won't be produced.... though you could be lucky that this doesn't happen.
2. they hate each other and require separate times out and separate cages (which you will need initially anyway as you can't expect to put two birds who don't know each other and expect them to live together).

I always think you should expect the worse and consider if you can live with that. If you can't, I wouldn't take the risk. I've had both scenarios happen to me and there was no way that I could predict it.

It's always a struggle, but I somehow try to carve at least 30 minutes a day with each of my birds. It may require multitasking, but they appreciate what I can give them and I'll like to believe that they're happy. They don't mind if I spend 30-60 minutes cleaning a cage and having them ride my shoulder or flitting around the room while I do it. They help me clip coupons from the newspaper... though I do have to watch them to make sure they don't chew it up too! Currently... I don't think my kids teachers realize that some of their homework goes back to school with some beak marks in it