Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Update; Fixing the Beginners' Mistakes

This thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 16175 times.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #31
Timo615

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Timo615 is on a distinguished road

Well, I feel a bit better now. Thanks for posting. At around three months I was starting to wonder if Pedro was going to bond with me. She'll sit on my finger long enough for a head scratch, but as soon as she's done, she flies off. We have a system ( I think it is anyway) she'll sit and chirp in the open door to get my attention. Occasionally I can pick her up from the doorway, usually she hops back inside but doesn't protest when I bring her out. She'll hop right up on my shoulder, and for a while she'd sit there for 10 minutes or so ( as long as I don't try to interact with her), now as soon as I sit down she flies right back to the cage, regardless of how painfully slowly I sit down.
She's a happy girl, chirps and clucks away most of the day. Her play is hilarious !! So, I figure we'll all good and she'll let me know when she wants more from our relationship, Lol
Timo615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #32
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

In initial training and bonding I find clipping a bird's wings an integral part of training, making them a bit less mobile and a bit more dependent on me. You can always let the feathers grow back once there is a closer bond and training takes hold. This is what I did with Sky and it seems to have worked well.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #33
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Glad you are taking it slow----I had to do slow movements with our first parakeet to build a trust. He WILL come around and it will seem rather sudden. Keep up your patience and he will come around. Best to you.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #34
Lupec

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Lupec is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your post; I have two three months parrotlets that are not too friendly and I'm trying to go about it with patience. It's fun just watching the two , they are a riot , hanging together and talking to each other. Sometimes they get really loud. It's so cute to see how they turn their heads to hear what your saying! Patience is the key!
Lupec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #35
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupec View Post
Thanks for your post; I have two three months parrotlets that are not too friendly and I'm trying to go about it with patience. It's fun just watching the two , they are a riot , hanging together and talking to each other. Sometimes they get really loud. It's so cute to see how they turn their heads to hear what your saying! Patience is the key!

Two are definitely more of a challenge than one...they may bond more than with one another than with you.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM   #36
Newbie01

Parrotlets Owned: Two

Newbie01 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Thank you everyone...

I have my two babies (Louie and Coco) for just over a week. A new P'let owner but a life long pet owner. I got the two babies after my Cockatiel died, at the ripe old age of 22. I had been aware of P'lets for a couple of years and did a lot of reading before I got the babies. Now over my anxiety about food they have a breakfast with me and an evening meal. I even bought a mini food processor to chop up the fruit and veg. So this weekend I had a bit of a set back and got the feeling they didn't trust me as much as they had done. From the start they weren't panicky frightened birds. Having read almost all replies to this original thread I know exactly what I was doing wrong. I was getting too confident in front of them. Moving too fast getting above myself really. So thank you for all your great advice. When i get home I am going to just sit and crochet in front of the cage and just be there. I have all the time in the world. I just want happy healthy birds who might want to spend some time with me now and again. Purple Sprouted Broccoli, they love it.

Last edited by Newbie01; Yesterday at 07:24 AM.. Reason: insert missing word.
Newbie01 is offline   Reply With Quote