Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

mites, anyone?

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  fleepmo 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with mites with your parrotlets? scary thought. How did you deal with it and get rid of them?

#4 ·
I had scaley face and leg mites in 2 of my parakeets when I was younger. I tried treating with a product that I got from the petstore. It made it better, but it didn't solve the problem. Eventually took them to the vet who gave them a shot and they were cured:) I also had a cockatiels and Jinx then, but the vet said that since they weren't showing any symptoms and the mites usually don't from one bird to another, then I shouldn't have to treat the other birds in the home.

As a side note, it took about 1 year for it to spread from the parakeet that had the problem to the my other parakeet and they shared a cage; they rarely interacted with the tiels or Jinx.

#5 ·
I had scaley face and leg mites in 2 of my parakeets when I was younger. I tried treating with a product that I got from the petstore. It made it better, but it didn't solve the problem. Eventually took them to the vet who gave them a shot and they were cured:) I also had a cockatiels and Jinx then, but the vet said that since they weren't showing any symptoms and the mites usually don't from one bird to another, then I shouldn't have to treat the other birds in the home.

As a side note, it took about 1 year for it to spread from the parakeet that had the problem to the my other parakeet and they shared a cage; they rarely interacted with the tiels or Jinx.
oh wow do you know how they can get it in the first place? and can it be transfered to other animals in the house such as dogs/cats?

#8 ·
Newbie question

Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad that I found this site. I've spent the whole afternoon reading all sort of things on parrotlets. I am really new to these beautiful little creatures having just fostered one from the local shelter. The little chap has hardly any feathers on it's body but still has wing and tail feathers. How often does these birds molt? I am taking it to a vet on Tuesday just to be sure it's not a parasite that's bothering it. What dear little things they are. We've called "ours" Azul. If it was mites how would I tell? He was looking pretty itchy today and while preening he would clean his beak off quite often and it seemed like the "feathers" that were coming off are like downy feathers but they seem sticky to me. Thoughts?

#10 ·
Welcme Nemo!

First let me say how proud I am that you have fostered one of these angels instead of buying one. ;) I hope you can end up keeping it yourself (if you choose to), since he will bond with you and would be happier there. You obviously have a caring heart to share with him. God Bless you for your efforts!

Can you post a picture of him so we can see? If there are that many feathers missing, it does not sound like a molt to me. He may be picking, or they my be just falling out due to a parsite or ven a nutritional problem. I am glad you are getting him to the vet - that is my suggestion anyhow!

Is he on pellets only, seed only - what is his history?

My parrotlets in general seem to molt 2-3 times a year, but the heaviest molt seems to be in the early Spring (Feb-Mar) -- right before breeding season for them.

I have never had a mite problm with parrotlets, though I have with parakeet, cockatiels, and on the legs of my macaw. I have found nothing anywhere that says whether or not parrotlets even get them. Whatever you do, DON'T use those mite-protectors that the pet shop has - they are toxic to our parrotlets!

Those little downy feathers are often "sticky" or staticy - can't hep you there. :( Though I do hope he leaves them alone so that he has at least a little covering.

In the mean time, make sure you are keeping him warm enough, as he can chill easily with no feathers. Also be sure he is getting the right nutrients in his diet &/or with specific supplements.

Please feel free to message me if you want to talk! :)
Best of luck with little Azul,
Kim

#11 ·
I was reading some product in Petco, I think "Mite and Lice Spray" or something. It sounds terrible!! It is telling people to avoid inhalation like it's so bad for you to breathe in... what the heck! Do they know that birds have such sensitive respiratory systems? And it's so crazy that these products say to spray it on the bird but don't get it in the birds face. That is very difficult to do from 18 inches away like they say! :eek:
I don't think that is safe at all. Leave it to a vet to take care of the problem.

#12 ·
Just as a note, the product that I found at the petstore to treat scaly mites in parakeets was a topical cream that you put on the areas where the mites were. I haven't seen this product in the stores anymore, never found it at Petsmart or Petco, had to go to a local ma-and-pa pet store for it.

#13 ·
Ok well,
I saw a tiny bug walking on the white cage cover as I was covering Peanut the other night. I couldn't believe my eyes because I have never seen this before. It was tiny and had a smooth flat looking body. I looked up bird mites and this is something I found: http://rentokil.com.fj/techinical-a-...te-6.4.3.2.htm
This picture is what it looked like. I cannot believe this is happening.

I got rid of the bug and the cage cover. A couple of nights later, I was covering him with a white pillowcase that I started using after I threw out the other cover days before and I saw two ever tinier dots crawling around on this white pillowcase!
In the Parrotlet Handbook, I read that mites "can be seen with a magnifying glass as dots moving on a white cloth hanging over the cage at night". I saw them with my own two eyes.. don't need a magnifying glass. I have good eyesight. They are very tiny though like the "head of a pin". These dots were tinier than that other bug so maybe that other one was the mother or something. I got rid of the pillowcase and removed the bugs (I am actually saving them. They are dead and wrapped in tape and in a ziplock bag. Maybe I can bring this to the vet to show him).

Now I am like a hawk looking for these things. Driving me nuts!! The one thing I must say though is that hopefully these are the only three and I have removed them. Also, I have not seen any on Peanut, thank God. And, the cage cover and pillowcase were across the room when I grabbed them to cover him and noticed these bugs. Hopefully, they have not gotten to him but I did read that they come out at night and suck blood from the bird (and HUMAN!!!!):eek:

Does anyone have any advice from their experience on how to contain these tiny things and prevent them from getting to the bird? :confused:

He was boarded at the bird store almost two months ago (did not come out of his cage but was among other birds in their cages). So, this is a possible source of the problem.

Ugh. :(

Going to call the vet tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.