Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

male or female?

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  kimijean 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to tell a male vs. female...

I've looked it up, but it's always so vague..

I really can't tell what puddle is.

Looking to get another of the opposite sex so I can marry him/her and have babbbbbiieieeeeesssss :) :) <3

#5 ·
Could it be possible for a green female to have a blue streak behind the eyes and blue on the rump.... and does not have blue wing feathers? Or is this impossible? If it is impossible my Ellie may be male. When I got her from the breeder I was told she was female. One of her parents was green the other blue.

#7 ·
The blue wing edges are what I really look for. The p'let is a female if no blue wing edges, the males will definitely have them (barring some special mutations like the lutino and albino). A p'let with lucida influence can have a blue rump and/or blue eye streak. Usually not as pronounced as a male, but it can vary depending on how much the lucida is influencing their colors...

#8 ·
When I first got my 4 1/2 month old blue male he had no eye streaks nor could you see any wing edges... You still can't easily... He did not get eye streaks till he was a year or so... If you open up his wings ( very carefully , to avoid losing fingers!) he is VERY blue on both top and bottom of them... 100% all male!! He always has had a very dark blue patch on his rump.

#13 ·
While P'lets are dimorphic... maybe a DNA test will settle the issue?

I wouldn't dream of breeding. I don't think I have enough experience to handle the egg laying, nesting behaviour and eventual hand feeding that may be necessary. While it might be fun to think of being a P'let breeder because you love the breed, I would think its important to have a good understanding of the breed and experience with birds in general before taking on the responsibility.

#15 ·
Puddles looks very much like a little boy to me (as does your little yellow guy). My C is a male blue and Skye is a female white - she has no distinct blue wing markings or eye streak, only a very, very pale blue cast overall and slightly darker in the rump but still only really pale blue. I have many pix in my albums and Skye is just over 3 manths old.

#19 ·
Blue eye streak and rum are NOT good was to sex them because a Lucida female can have them, just not as dark as a male. However if the bird has blue, or if a blue bird darker blue, on the wings then it is a male; females will never have blue/darker blue on the wings.

Can you open up his wings?

Also you never want to breed a blue bird with a blue bird, or yellow with yellow etc....

Kim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.